Chapter 16

A bright yellow beam of sunlight shone into our room, but I was exhausted, so I decided to ignore it, half an hour later Katniss got up and whispered that she was heading for the shower.

She emerged from the bathroom 10 minutes later, although, she did something I'd never expect, she crawled back into bed.

"Morning" I said yawning

"Good morning" she muttered.

She curled up beside me. She groaned.

"What's wrong." I ask

"I feel sick" she whispered. "Sore stomach"

I wrapped my arms around her. "It'll be okay soon" I soothed.

But I was very wrong.

A few hours later she got out of bed and raced to the bathroom, she was violently sick in the toilet, I held her hair back and rubbed her back.

About 3 hours later the pain got worse, she clutched her side. Almost crying.

"Katniss, this is bad, I need to call a doctor" I told her

"Okay." She whispers.

I get off the phone with the doctor.

"He says you're to come in immediately"

"Right" she says slowly getting changed.

We make the short drive to the hospital.

"Right this way" the doctor said looking at a clipboard.

"Stay with me" Katniss insisted

"Always" I murmured.

The doctors do several scans on Katniss, while her fingers remain locked tightly around mine.

Hospitals terrify Katniss now.

The doctors start muttering quietly to one another in the corner.

"What are they saying?" She asked

"I'm not sure" I replied squeezing her hand.

The doctors come over.

"It appears you've contracted Appendicitis, immediate removal of the Appendix is the only solution"

"What's an appendix?" I asked dumbly.

"It's a small closed tube which is roughly the size of a finger located in the abdomen" they informed me "however it isn't used for anything"

"Right" I mumbled as they slowly started to sedate Katniss.

"We're going to have to ask you to leave" one of the doctors instructed me

"Can't I stay until she's asleep?" I asked

The doctor looked at Katniss who was only started to feel the effects of the sedation drug

"Fine. Why not" he muttered

I beans down to Katniss and stroked her hair out of her face. She was starting to fall asleep

"Peeta" she says urgently "I love you"

I suppressed a small smile. " I love you too, forever and always"

And with that she falls asleep.

I'm escorted out.

It's hard to say how long I waited on results, it could have been 20 minutes, 5 hours, days, months or even years.

I lost track of the time.

It felt like ages.

I really couldn't tell you how many times I paced the waiting room floor, or how many times I bounced my prosthetic leg on the floor.

I kept glancing at the clock, although the time wasn't sinking in.

I was so worried.

A doctor comes in and tells me the operation went well, and that she's in recovery.

I can go see her now.

I sit on the chair beside her bed, I have her fingers entwined with mine and I stroke her hair with my other hand.

"I love you" I whispered. I felt a squeeze on my hand.

10 seconds later her eyes flickered open and I heard Katniss say in a raspy voice, "I love you too, Forever and Always"