Chapter 20

I woke up early and stretched my fingers to the other side of the bed. Looking for Katniss. But she wasn't there.
Of course she wasn't, stupid. We're getting married today and Effie insisted that it's bad custom to see each other before the wedding. I don't know if that is proper custom, or something Effie made up for anticipation.
Katniss was staying at Annie's house. I wouldn't see her until the actual event.

Haymitch knocked at the door, looking sober and presentable. Followed by some stylists. Oh great.

It was a sunny day. I was all styled and presentable, or so I heard and we were finally about to get married!

The wedding was in the middle of the woods, orange and green streamers hung from the branches. The cake, which I'd made myself was sitting on a stand, the guests were already there. Haymitch was going to be giving Katniss away, and the bridesmaids are Johanna, Mollie (whom Katniss got on with particularly well) Eva and Annie.

To my horror, Liz was in a tux, well if that's all that goes wrong then it's still going to be a miracle. I couldn't wait, I would soon be married to the girl of my dreams. Effie was chief wedding planner. And we'd made the right choice. Everything was perfect.
"Do you like it?" Effie chirped.
"Yes I love it. Thank you Effie. It's truly perfect."
"That means a lot. Oh it's Octavia. I'll go see how she's doing. Enjoy your day. You deserve it" she said pinning a flower which she called 'Alstoemeria' onto my lapel, informing me that that's the flowers that would be in Katniss' bouquet.
There were no TV crews yet, but I'm sure some pictures would be leaked. But that didn't matter.

*

I stood at the alter, watching Katniss come down the aisle, looking breathtaking in a floor length white gown. Effie was right. The flowers were the same as the one in my lapel. She finally reached me and I took her hands.
"You look stunning" I whispered.
She blushed "So do you"

It was time to do the vows.

"Katniss, I loved you from the moment I first laid eyes on you, ever since the birds stopped singing to hear your voice I knew I loved you. You are perfect. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. You look breathtaking right now, and you always do. You're perfect. I love you" I said slipping the ring on her finger, the ring itself was silver with the pearl from the quell attached and the words 'Forever & Always' on the inside

A tear slipped down Katniss' face. She squeezed my hands

"Oh Peeta, It took me a little longer to love you, and I can't lie and say it didn't because you would know, but after the quell, I started to realise I did love you, and every day since then I've started to love you more and more. You're the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I love you. Forever and always." She said slipping the ring on me.

"I promise to love you, forever and always" we said in unison
"You may now kiss the bride" I heard someone say. And I didn't hesitate

I grabbed her by the waist, pulling her closer to me. I pressed my lips onto hers. Gently, but getting more passionate by the second, somewhere in the middle of the kiss Katniss put her hands around me neck. We eventually had to break the kiss for breath. Katniss threw the bouquet, which was caught by Mollie.
"Congratulations sweetheart" Haymitch said hugging Katniss. He threw his arms around me "Nice job bread boy"
Effie came next. "Thats perfect. Everyone in the Capitol will be so excited. I can't believe you're honeymooning there. Maybe I'll see you." Se whispered, kissing Katniss and I on the check.
Johanna came next in her simple red dress along with Liz in her matching tuxedo.
"Your dress was lovely Katniss" Johanna said laughing "but somehow I don't think you should have wore white" Liz and her walked away laughing.

Annie, Eva and Finnick Jr. came next
Then came Mollie and Charlie.
Then Venia, Octovia and Flavius.

Katniss and I got a knife and cut the cake. There were pictures and a bit of a party. And then we went home, got changed and got on a hovercraft to the Capitol, with our wedding album already printed and in our hands.

We sat on the hovercraft. Flicking through the photos, of a thousand happy memories. I took out a black pen, and in my best handwriting I wrote:

'Katniss and Peeta

Forever and always

17th of August 2977'