Chapter 30

"I'm so sorry" that's all she said

I'm so sorry

I'm so sorry

Them 3 words changed everything

I'm so sorry.

Katniss started to cry, I pulled her close to me, her face buried into my chest.

Our baby is dead.

I felt Katniss' tears soak though my light shirt.

"How did this happen?" I asked not really wanting to know the answer.

"It seemed to be bad luck, a miscarriage is quite common" she told me

"Okay" I whispered.

Katniss and I drove home in silence, I held her hand, but she said nothing, she stared out the window the whole time. I squeezed her hand, she squeezed mine back, but said nothing.

We got home and went inside, sitting on the couch, I wrapped my arms around her pulling her closer. She started to cry again, and I was crying a bit too.

"I just thought everything was going to be everything would work out for a change"

"Me too" I whispered.

Katniss went and cooked dinner, I flicked on the tv, but I didn't really watch it. I cried for most of it. This morning we had our baby, well we probably didn't, but we thought we did. I thought we were going to be happy, we'd been through so much. Surely we deserved something.

And then it hit me, despite what happened today we'd got a lot, we somehow managed to fall back into love and get married, there's plenty of time for children. We're only 20, we didn't need to rush things.

Katniss came in with the plates, she set one down on my knee and sat beside me, our shoulders touching. Katniss didn't say a word.

"Katniss, I understand you're upset, I am too, but I'll be there for you, just remember that"

I put my empty plate on the ground, wrapping my arm around her, she set hers on the ground as well, right beside mine.

She looked up at me, I could see the pain reflecting in her eyes.

"How can you say that?" She asked "why don't you hate me?"

"Why would I hate you? I love you Katniss"

"Because this is all my fault, the doctor said the word miscarriage, which meant I'd carried our baby wrong, I ruined his or her chance at life! This is my fault and you should hate me for it" she replied, choking on her words, she turned away to face the fire, staring straight ahead, I got up of the seat.

"Katniss" I said making eye contact and bringing my hand up to her cheek "No matter what you think, this is not your fault, you couldn't have possibly stopped it, but it's not to say it will happen again. We could have other children, obviously when you're ready, but we could, the same thing isn't likely to happen again, we were just unlucky, but it isn't your fault. We're still young Katniss, we can have children 15 or 20 years from now if that's what it takes. What happened, well it wasn't nice, but there's no point beating yourself up over it" I grabbed her hands, "Okay?" I asked her

"Okay." She whispered, I could see in her eyes that my speech helped a bit, but that's when I realised. Katniss wasn't going to break, it's not going to happen, because it already has. She's broken.

Authors note: the next chapter will be less upsetting, I promise