Chapter 25

"Katniss, I'm really sorry. I know I stepped over the line with what I said but I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry"

I got no answer, I tried the handle, it opened a bit but hit what I assumed was the drawers, allowing the door to open about an inch. 10 minutes later I heard more dragging, probably to make sure I couldn't get in anymore, I heard her walk over to the bed and throw herself down on it, there's no point apologising now, I'd only wake her, but I was going to stay right here anyway.

-5 hours later-

It was late now, I was tired, but I couldn't sleep, I feel terrible. I can't believe I said that. I'm usually nice to everyone, especially Katniss, so why had I brought up something that I knew would hurt her the most. I knew I'd hurt her as soon as I said it, I tried. I really did. But she'd heard it.
I'm a lousy excuse for a husband. I have to be the worst person ever. I mean what sort of person does that to anyone let alone his own wife. An asshole does, so basically I'm just talking about mysel-

My train of thought is cut of by a loud bang, and Katniss crying.
"Katniss" I whispered, are you okay?" I asked.
"I'm fine, you should go to bed"
I might have believed her if she wasn't still crying.
"Please Katniss, just let me in"
"I moved the drawers away from the door hours away, come on in."

I can't believe I missed that, the must have been when I thought she was moving the drawers to make sure I couldn't open it in the slightest.
I tried the handle again, half expecting it to hit the drawers.

But it opened easily.
Katniss was lying on the single bed, curled up, facing the wall.
I quietly walked up, lay down beside her and wrapped my arms around her, she flinched before relaxing again.

"Katniss, I am so sorry, words can't explain how sorry I am" I told her
"It's okay" she whispered turning around to face me, tears glistened in her grey eyes.
"Did you have a nightmare?" I asked.
She nodded "I'm fine"
I didn't believe her, but I decided not to point it out, instead I changed the subject.
"So are we speaking again?" I asked hopefully
"Sure" she replied
"Thank you, I really am sorry you know"
"I know and I'm sorry too"
"Oh Katniss, you have nothing to be sorry about"
"I said mean things too" she stated.
"Was it really about your mother? because it really thought you didn't like her"
"I like her a bit but no that's not it"
"Then what's bugging you." I asked

"I think I know what it is, but I'm not sure yet, I need go be certain before I tell you, okay?"
"Okay" I whispered, pressing my lips on to hers.