|Drumline| Modern AU Ja'far x Reader

"No, no you're playing it wrong.", (Y/N) told the boy.
"What do you mean?", Ja'far said, giving the girl a quizzical look.
"It's supposed to be a paradiddle, you're not supposed to use natural sticking."
"Oh."
"Yeah, so let's try that measure again. Playing with proper sticking will help you move from drum to drum."
(Y/N) started the tap off. It took a few tries, but Ja'far ended up getting it right.
The girl slapped her stick on the rim of the second drum, signifying to play one last time.
"Good rep. Just make sure you aren't to stiff when holding the stick, and use an equal amount of your wrist, and arm. Take a break and meet back here in five."
As (Y/N) started to walk out of the small practice room, Ja'far stopped her.
"(Y/N), if you don't mind me asking, why are you helping me?"
"Well, to start off, you transitioned from pit to tenor, it's a very difficult drum to play. You don't know how to play it, and it's my responsibility as tenor section leader to help you out. Secondly, we need to sound good, and look good for half-time shows. And lastly, we're the only sophomores in the battery, we gotta stick together, and help each other improve!", she concluded her little speach with a small smile.
This situation elicited a slight blush from Ja'far.
'Who knew she would be so passionate about this.'
In the brief silence, a hard knock on the door to the room sounded, and a purple haired senior popped his head in.
"Come on love-birds! We've got drill to set! You can be sappy later."
"Oh hush Sinbad!", (Y/N) said, heat rising to her face, "We'll be out in a minute. Ja'far, get your drum on and head to the field. I'll be right behind you."

"That was a grueling day.", Ja'far said, reminiscing his first day of band camp.
The whole percussion section was sitting in a group, talking, and remembering their previous experiences. There was an hour until the last game of the season. Ja'far, (Y/N), and the rest of the percussion in their class were now seniors.
"Speak for yourself. It was even more difficult getting you on your dots. I had to help you at every set!", (Y/N) said, snickering, "Remember how many times you fell?"
"Don't remind me.", Ja'far said, rubbing his hand on the nape of his neck.
(Y/N)'s laughs died down as she looked at the people around her.
"Oh how time flies..."
A whistle sounded, and they all knew what it meant. Time for warm ups.

The sections went to their groups, did their thing, and grouped back up on the stands.
They played their stand tunes through the first two quarters.
Beautifully got through their half-time show.
Took their third quarter break.
And cheered, and played in the last quarter.
The Sindria high school managed to score high enough in the last few minutes, and won the final game of the season.

The band packed their things into the band trucks, and were leaving at their own pace.
(Y/N) was sitting up in the stadium, watching the last few people finish up what they were doing. She was shocked when she looked over to see Ja'far sit down next to her.
"What are you still doing here? I thought you went home.", (Y/N) questioned.
"I could ask you the same thing.", Ja'far said.
"I asked you first.", (Y/N) said with a small smirk. Ja'far sighed.
"Fine. I came up here, because you looked kinda sad."
"How can you read me so well.", (Y/N) said, turning her head to look our over the football field.
"A penny for your thoughts?"
The young woman thought before she spoke.
"I'm going to miss this. The highschool, the band, my friends, and I'm going to miss you. I don't know what I'll do after we graduate."
"You're going to...miss me?"
"Of course I am!", (Y/N) turned to look at Ja'far with an incredulous look on her face, "You are one of the best parts of my day! You're kind, you're sweet, you listen to my problems, you help me with homework, and...and I love you more than anyone could imagine!"
"I-I never knew you felt that way.", Ja'far said, a blush on his face.
"Well I didn't want to tell you just in case you didn't feel the same. I didn't want to ruin the friendship we have.", her blush grew to the same amount as the boy next to her.
"(Y/N). Our friendship wouldn't have been ruined."
"And why is that?"
"B-because I feel the same. I love you so much, but I just thought that you thought of me as a nobody."
"How could you ever think that? You mean a lot to me Ja'far."
In a quick motion, the boy stood up, picked the girl up, and spun around with her in his arms.
"Will you be my girlfriend (Y/N)?"
"Yes, I will!"
Ja'far lovingly kissed (Y/N) on the lips.
"I love you."
"I love you too."