Chapter Nineteen

From The Depths Of Hell

                                                       [ManxBoy]

   Chapter Nineteen:

Kalona looked bored as he watched his men battle one another. I winced as a female got her back cracked over her opponent’s knee; that happened to be a man.

“Isn’t this a bit unfair?” I asked but Kalona didn’t even acknowledge me before he replied, “Each member of my army must be as equally strong as one another. If not, they are a liability and will be cut lose.”

I bit the inside of my cheek as I turned my attention back to the battle. I had been in Kalona’s home for over a week and I was feeling the boredom increasing each second I was here. Not only was I ordered to stay in his room until ‘further notice’, the only time I went outside was to watch this reoccurring battle between his men.

The thud of a body made me look to the rink to see the female, I had once pitied, with her foot on the chest of her rival.

As she looked to Kalona I noticed a look of frustration. Kalona merely glanced at her before turning to me and offering me more wine. I hated wine. Just because I know that God’s may or may not exist doesn’t mean I will start drinking wine and eating grapes.

The girl looked to me with such a glare that I inwardly winced. The look of pure hatred…or jealousy.

As soon as she saw me acknowledge her she turned her back to me and walked out of the rink. “Raum, let’s take a walk” Kalona suggested, which I gladly accepted instead of being cooped up in that room which had one hundred and forty-two bricks.

Kalona stood first receiving the respectful bows from his men and all the other attention-seeking moments he needed to feed his ego. He looked at me from beneath his shaggy silk black hair and held out his hand. “Let’s go” he said smoothly with a slight smirk tugging on his beautifully formed lips. I slid my hand into his after some brief hesitation then he pulled me to my feet and began walking down a path which I hadn’t been down before.

Still keeping my hand firmly inside of his.

The gardens were beautiful. Exotic plants I had never seen before were growing everywhere. Why would he bring me here?

“This garden is filled with healing and destroying plants” Kalona announced making me look to him. He was looking forward out into the vast amounts of plants.

I watched him walk over to a bush which had a white flower on it. He gently rested his hand underneath before looking to me. “This is a snowdrop. They have them up top yet humans don’t know of their healing abilities. It provides whoever it touches with a fraction of its energy then turns to ash.” I watched as he caressed his thumb down one of the petals but when he pulled away the plant curled up and died.  I watched as Kalona took a step to his right and gestured to a bright red plant.

“This flower is called Anthrope. A brother to the Daisy flower. They originally flower very small in the beginning but if they are touched, just once, they grow. With the more they are felt the larger it becomes. This one has adapted to survive by growing by the pathway. With every brush they send a toxin into whoever or whatever the being. To you and I it is just a prick of a nettle but if you receive a high dosage of the poison you would die” he said.

I looked to the flower he was touching. “The vibrant colour of it, to attract the eye?” I asked. Kalona nodded lightly then released the flower. He showed me his hand and his veins were more prominent.