Chapter 10

As the blood seeped from my leg, I angrily stared at the girl. Chandler elevated my leg on top of his backpack, as he mumbled and searched through his bag for something to stop the bleeding.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry." She said, crouching down to help.

The girl had short brown hair and dark brown eyes. She wore light blue slightly ripped skinny jeans, a loose gray t-shirt, and black vans. I wonder how she remained comfortable in them, unlike me.

Although she had just caused the gears on the mountain bike to become unattached and scrape my leg, I have to admit; she was really pretty. I couldn't get past the hard facts though; we deserved an explanation.

I looked back to her, and she was fumbling with a long strand of gauze from her brown torn apart backpack. "Here," she began, lifting up my leg. Chandler turned with his other shirt to use, but she pushed it away.

"It's fine, I think it's my responsibility..." She pushed a strand of hair out of her eyes and began wrapping the gauze around my cut. I sucked in a sharp breath, as my leg twitched in pain.

The girl looked at me, while still wrapping my leg. "Sorry. Not very good at, doctor stuff." Her voice was soft, and she didn't seem too bad anymore.

I slowly pulled my finger off the trigger, and I could feel my heart rate slowing down. But Chandler kept staring at her; and he didn't look too happy.

"I'm Brianna, by the way." She tied a knot at the end of the bandage, and backed up. She stood, and Chandler did the same. He occasionally glanced at me, and then back to Brianna. His fingers tapped on his gun in his belt. The way he acted with this girl was very intimidating.

My leg hurt like hell; every second it sent a painful shot through my body. I knew I could walk on it; but I couldn't get away from a herd like that one. She was lucky that we were far away from that.

"Riley." I spat.

"I'm sorry, I just heard you guys talkin' so I had to come, and... Anyways, real sorry about your leg. I'm sure it'll be fine soon enough." I could tell that Brianna talked a lot.

"So..." She began once again. "Where'd you guys come from? I was with my aunt and sister Britney until this big pile of those things got into our house a few miles from here. I couldn't tell where they went... But here I am."

As she spoke, I examined her features. She looked Chandler and I's age; with my height and an average 14 year old's form. Her face reminded me of Haley.

Brianna wore a bit of mascara, and she also had her ears pierced.

My mother was against make-up, and she still thought I was too young to even have those small crystal studs in my ears. I envied other girls way of life.

"Hm?" She looked down at me.
"What?" I asked her, wanting to stand up off of the blood-covered pavement.

"Where did you guys come from?"

"Oh, uh..." I used my hands to push myself off the ground, and now I was eye-level with Brianna and Chandler. "We both were at the airport. There's a huge herd behind us. We were trying to get away."

"Again, I'm real sorry." Chandler still stared at Brianna, with a not so sure look. "We can keep moving if you want." We?

"What makes you think you're coming with us?" He finally said, putting his backpack around his shoulders. He still held tight to his gun; as did I.

"Well, usually if you see a survivor in a situation like this, you've got no option but to take them in." She gave Chandler a sly smile. I could tell she recognized him from The Walking Dead.