Chapter 14

Hey guys sorry for not updating for a while, I've been busy. Plus, I started a new story but won't be posting it for a bit.

Thanks for 200+ reads :) -molly

------

Eventually, we had to stop moving.

Stiffs were becoming less popular as we reached further into the woods of Georgia.

The young sick girl Sammy kept coughing and wheezing, and practically fell over as she walked. Luckily, Joy was there to help her. I couldn't bear listening to her suffering anymore.

"It's dark." I announced. "Shouldn't we stop?" The sky was a dark blue, and it was getting hard to see, especially that the thousands of trees were blocking the moonlight.

"I make the calls here, Riley." Said Vincent in a rude tone. There was something about Vincent that gave me a bad feeling. He was too tough and naive, plus he didn't show any emotion for anyone in the group. I shook my head at him. He reminded me of my father.

"She's right though, Vincent." Said Joy in a trembling voice as she held up the girl. "Sammy can't take much more of this walking today."

"Not our problem." Homer stopped in his tracks to check his ammo. "But I'm tired and sweatin' like a bat outta hell. C'mon, Vin." He threw his old ratty duffle bag on the leaf-covered ground.

Homer's shirt was soaked with sweat on his neck, stomach, and armpit areas. I couldn't tell if the wrenched smell was from the rotten dead people walking around, or the man's body odor.

I made a disparaging sound in disgust, followed by a little chuckle by his lack of hygiene.

"What you laughing at little girl?" He asked, raising his voice. Beside me, I saw Chandler and Brianna's tense looks.

Shaking my head, I turned toward Chandler and ignored Homer's question. He put his hand on my shoulder again, and we both threw our bags on the ground.

Behind me, I knew that the rest of the group repeated that action, and there was even a slight conversation. I didn't even have to wonder if they were chatting about the three of us kids.

I kneeled onto the leaves and pulled out the high school sweatshirt I had taken earlier. Since it was bigger than me, I laid it our across the ground so I wouldn't have to have my entire body rolling around in dirt and bugs.

By now I really wished we had packed a safer thing to sleep in.

Homer pulled out and quickly set up a large orange tent that was way to big for just him. Joy and Sammy were putting their thing inside of a half-finished military tent; with Jason and Bruno loosely attempting to help them out.

Luke and Daniella shared a tent with the old man Earl, who I guessed had a history with the mother and son. Anna and Freddie crawled into the sloppy tent with them, the two little kids keeping to themselves.

I had an urge to go help the two kids, especially the boy. I wanted to know his history, how his name was spelt, but most of all, I just wanted to know that he wasn't like my Freddie at all.

Craig slept in between Vincent and Joy's tent. The two men were far away from the two of us, thank the Lord. The only people I could stand to be with right now would be Chandler and Brianna, and possibly Joy.

Suddenly, there was a growing snarl of a Stiff. "Oh no it's okay, I'll keep watch." Snapped Vincent sarcastically. Good thing it was dark out, or else he would have beat me if he saw me roll my eyes.

"Asshole." He mumbled. His southern accent was followed by the squishing sound of a knife entering the Stiff's skull. "Hey, what do you three kids call these things, anyway?"