Chapter 25

I was completely panic-stricken.

"Chandler." I grabbed his arm and jerked him backwards as he began to put his feet into the sand. His face was shocked and pulled pulled forward in concern, ready to listen to what I had to say.

"What is it?"

"I - I don't trust the w - water." I stammered, "they could be able to swim or there could be animals? Snakes?"

I remember last year in 8th grade, our classes went on a trip to a campground that had a lake. Hunter Matthews told me that there were snapping turtles and snakes that would attack if you swam near them.

My teachers asked me why I wasn't going in, and I was so afraid, I couldn't say anything but 'I don't want to get my hair wet.'

But now I had a true reason to avoid the water, rather than risk my life even more.

"Riley, you'll be okay. I doubt they'll be in there, and I doubt the water is that deep since it's a thin river." Chandler reassured me. My body almost seemed to calm down. If Brianna, Luke, and Chandler weren't afriad to go in, then I shouldn't be either.

I let go of his arm, and gave him a small smile to hide my nervousness.

***

Luke already had his shirt off, and Brianna was only in her shorts. I wondered how I would change out of my own clothing without getting a look from the rest of them, including Chandler. But once again, while my mind drifted off, so did my jeans.

I stood still on the damp and flattened dirt, wearing nothing but my loose black sweater, my underwear, and a tanktop and bra underneath. My actions spoke for themselves; I was as shy and nervous as I could ever be. I was afraid to look up.

If Chandler was staring at me, I would lose it. I never did like wearing bathing suits infront of my friends, or wearing short-shorts and tanktops around strangers.

Brianna's words reminded me that I didn't need to worry anymore. The world was over. The world is over, the world is over. That's the phrase that I need to think of nowadays when I get nervous.

The world is over.

I pulled my black sweater over my head, then my tank-top, and completely regarded any looks that my body would receive.

My head privately shook as I replayed those few words in my thoughts.

The world is over.

I swiped up Chandlers hand up into mine and tugged him until we were right at the edge of the river.

"Ready?" I turned to him and asked.

Chandler smiled the biggest smile that I've seen yet. It was such a sweet, gorgeous smile. "Ready."

"1..." I shouted.

"2..." Luke joined in.

"Go!" Brianna cut off all of us who were about to say three, and she dived straight into the deep green murky river water. I instantly got nervous for her, but I pushed it the urge to yell and tell her to get out of the water away with all my of my willpower.

Chandler and Luke followed her in, splashing violently as they dunked their heads underneath the water while Sammy laughed. The four of them were having fun, and that's what I wanted as well.

I stepped onto the dirt, that faded into sand, and then my foot was submerged into the water. It was a little cold, but had a warm chill that made me want to jump right in and swim.

Then I was knee deep, and I could feel Chandlers urgency for me to get into the river with him.

The top of the water floated just above my belly button.

The first few inches of my blonde hair turned a reddish brown as it dipped into the water along with my shoulders.

The world is over.

Chandler gave me another one of his perfect full smiles before I scrunched up my face, and plunged down into the water.

The small current felt astonishing as it pushed against my face underneath surface of the salty water. I blew a few bubbles of stored air out of my lungs, and kicked my feet to tread. Luckily, the soft squishy sand was only about 6 inches below me.

My arms pushed the water down until my face hit the surface, feeling the warmer temperature of the air clear the underwater feeling.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Chandler watching me. His slightly curly hair stuck to the sides of his face, now soaked in such an attractive way. He looked different when he was in the water, but it was a good different.

That described Chandler so wonderfully; a good different.

We looked at each other for a few seconds before something else distracted us.

As I looked to behind me and to my left, Luke was holding Brianna in his arms, like he was going to playfully throw her into the water.

They both were laughing hysterically.

Something about the way they acted together made me smile uncontrollably, which led to laughter coming from all of us.

Chandler swam up beside me and let his arms slide around my waist in the water.

My throat made the funniest but oddest noise when his fingers poked at my stomach, followed by even more laughter. I had never been tickled by anyone but Freddie.

The five of us were having the most wonderful time, splashing and laughing and telling jokes. I would remember every moment that was spent with us teenagers.

Even the one when the unexpected crowd of walkers came stumbling onto the sand, only about ten feet up the riverbed.

------

lol after you thought everything was going so smoothly