Chapter 16

The scream was completely ear-splitting, making me flinch and dig my nails into Chandler's arm. We all immediately stopped walking, and look frantically around.

It obviously came from a woman, plus it sounded super close.

"What do we do?" Spoke Daniella, causing me to turn around to see her. I could see that she moved around so she could cling to her son.

I looked to Homer, who's face was flushed with worry. He was staring at Vincent for answers. That made me wonder; who's really in charge of this group?

Suddenly, the same high-pitched screech echoed through the woods. Vincent looked behind him, but turned back to us with a neutral expression. "Just keep walking." He mumbled. It was like he didn't care for anyone's life but his own.

What if that woman needed help? She was obviously screaming for a reason. I could just imagine a few different scenes that he chose not to prevent.

She could be a young woman being attacked by the walkers, or maybe she and her children needed help, or maybe someone was bit.

"How could you say that? More people means more protection." Joy responded, gripping onto a terrified looking Sammy. Homer shook his head.

"More people means more danger." He responded cruelly.

"We're wasting time. Let's go!" I could tell that Vincent was trying to keep his voice down. He turned around quickly, and began to trudge through the leaves.

These people had no choice but to listen to this man. He was over-controlling and angry and ignorant. I found it annoying that none of them; not even a strong looking woman like Daniella, or a cunning beuoff like Bruno, wouldn't dare speak up against these two men.

As soon as they shook their heads in defeat, I looked at Chandler. By the scared look on his face, I could tell he didn't want to go up against them either. But all of the sudden, once a dreadful and long scream of "Help..." had returned - that person from the airport had awaken, and taken over my conscious.

Chandler pulled on my arm so we could keep up walking with the group, but I stood my ground.

"No."

My rebellious actions caused my innocent and shy self to return. I squeezed my eyes shut, and my fists balled at my sides. I needed to help those people, whether the group agreed or not.

I was ready to have it out with them - although Homer and Vincent were willing to kill me. The looks on their faces literally said it; an infuriating expression staring deep into my eye sockets. But there was no way I regretted what I had said.

"Little girl?" Growled Vincent. He clearly was not happy.

"I said no. Those people need our help." I pointed to the right with my free hand, holding tighter to Chandlers with the other.

"What makes you think that it's so safe to help those people, who are probably dangerous? They could be bit, or worse. It could be a whole mess out there." Homer insisted, "it's best not to get into trouble."

"He's right. We could get into something that it could be possible to avoid." Said Bruno.

"What?" I could not believe what I was hearing. Just as I thought about letting go of Chandler's arm and following the continuous screams, a small but constant noise became gradually louder every second. It sounded like the crunching of leaves, but at a heavier and faster pace.

Someone - or something - was headed our way.

***

We all bared our weapons, and of course, I had to let go of Chandlers arm. I didn't expect his face to be disappointed, but I wouldn't expect a happy one either. So I just decided not to look at his reaction.

I pulled out my gun and pointed it in a direction that was somewhat behind me. The person was moving fast; it was definitely not a dead one.

Every one in the group was silent, for if we spoke this person would hear and want to harm us. I continued to stare into the trees until a male figure appeared, carrying nothing but a bloody machete.

He wasn't speaking, but he was clearly looking at us, and knew we were here. Was he crazy or something? "Put down the sword!" Shouted Homer from behind us to the strange man.

As the man came closer, I could make out a few features on his body. He had blonde messy hair, red splotches on his khaki shorts, and more blood on his blue Polo shirt. Why wasn't he frightened by our group, and the sight of many weapons directed right at him?

Finally the young man dropped his weapon, but he still glared at all of us with bravery in his brown eyes.

"Mom, Luke, it's me."

A few gasps caused me to turn around quickly to see the mother and son. Daniella looked comepletly horrified as she lifted her pale bony hand to her mouth in shock. Luke stared at him with some sort of saddening anger. I could tell by the way his lip quivered and he squinted his eyes.

"Sean?" Croaked Daniella, and I turned back around the man. I wanted to put down my gun since he knew them, but something in my muscles just kept me from that.

He gestured toward us, putting out his hands as if telling us to calm down. I was calm, but who knows how Homer or Vincent could be feeling right now. "Yeah, Mom. It's me, it's okay." Said Sean.

"You died!" His mother yelped from behind me. I didn't have to look back, infact I wanted to make sure that whoever he was, Sean would not hurt me or Chandler.

"No, Mom, I'm here. I'm still here."

Beside me, I could see that Chandler began to lower his gun down back to his waist. If he trusted that this man was harmless, I guess I had no choice but to as well.

My actions pushed away all of my negative thoughts, as I let out a sigh and pushed my weapon back into my belt. Daniella and Sean began to speak.

"No, no you were in the house with Kaitlyn an-and Mary, no... It got surrounded!" She was beginning to raise her voice, but in a painful way.

"Mom, listen. Kaitlyn and I got out, but she.." Sean turned slightly toward the direction in which he just came running from. "she just..."

"She was bit?" Luke asked him.

"Yeah, she uh, led them away." Sean ran his fingers through his surf-style blonde hair.

Now we all knew where that had scream had come from. I took in a sharp breath, and reattached myself to Chandler. Our fingers locked, and I tried to avoid the butterflies stuck inside of my chest.

"And you just let it happen?" Luke snapped back.

"She was already gone. I objected but she pushed me away. They had her." Sean said in a sad and upsetting tone. I could tell that he just wanted to drop the subject and move onto how he just discovered his family.

"Oh my Sean..." Daniella ran up from behind me to hug her son, but Luke stayed put. I gripped tighter onto Chandler's hand. We needed to get going.

I leaned closer into him, relieved that we were in a less amount of danger than where we were in before the unknown girl names Kaitlyn started screaming.

While the mother and son cried and hugged into each other's shoulders, I turned back around, still holding to Chandler's hand.

As soon as my eyes found there way to Vincent and Homer, the two men who I expected to roll their eyes and interrupt such a touching moment, were unaware of the small crowd coming behind each of them.

------

:)