7 - Friends

The impact left the platform with networks of cracks, shifting some parts here and there and even raising them as well. It had caused some of the players to lose their balance and fall ungracefully, hugging the floor in the process. Each pair of eyes instantly placed their attention to the cause of the havoc who, had skidded through the platform and halted to a stop a few feet away from the force-field.  White smokes were evaporating out of the tall lad’s body as if he was water pouring on a hot pan.

“Arma?” Phoenix asked in aghast, instinctively running towards them with worry of their health. Zatch seemed too stunned for words to even move. His eyes were transfixed on the two, as if in a daze while Stabs joined in with Phoenix as they rushed towards the two player’s side. Arma didn’t seem to hear them for he slowly loosened his tight grip on the girl. Zessica’s body lay against him weakly, still under the spell of a deep sleep. He shook her gently to which she didn’t wake up to any avail.

“Zessica? Hey, wake up!” Arma spoke which trembled, panic evident in his voice. He was shaking her more than ever, trying to pull the girl out of her deep slumber. In a matter of seconds, the small chuck of stone that was fused at the back of her neck glowed vibrantly in emerald green. A shower of green electricity soon enveloped her whole body, shocking her heart to beat for another day. Arma felt the mind bowing surge of power flowing through him as well, gasping lightly at the brilliance of it all.

The sensation was short and brief and eventually dimmed down. In its place, the unconscious girl silently stirred from her sleep, groggily cracking open one eye against the glare of the white light. She shielded her eyes with one hand futilely before rousing herself. Placing her free hand firmly on the ground, she gingerly propped herself up with the aid of Arma to make her sit up straight. As soon as she adjusted her eyes against the light, she found herself staring straight into the eyes of the tall lad, who in return sighed in relief.

Before anyone in the room could respond from the phenomenon that had arise a short while ago, the buzzer of the game reverberated powerfully, signalling the end of the game.

“There you have it folks!” Zero’s voice boomed through the hovering mike as he made his way towards the center of the battered stadium, his arms opened wide as if expecting the whole audience to hug him. This gesture had indeed, steered everyone’s attention from the two players to what the host had to say.

“Let’s all cheer for the winners in Hallway of Horrors!” Zero bellowed loudly with a huge grin pasted on his face. He clapped his hands loudly, encouraging the other to soon do the same. A huge wave of several thousand claps overwhelmed the players and Arma could see that several of them did their little victory dances.

“Arma!! Arma!!” Stab’s concerned voice gradually drifted to Arma’s ears. The tall lad turned his head curiously and caught two figures rushing towards them in lightning speed which could only be identified by two people, Phoenix and Stabs. As the two caught up, Phoenix immediately went down on her knees and showered the spaced-out girl and Arma with questions.

“Are you two okay? Are you hurt anywhere? Where is it? Where does it hurt? Do you think you can stand? Do you need healing potions?” The questions seemed never ending coming out of the panic stricken girl. The tall lad thought there would be no end to her unanswered questions for it seemed like a bottomless profound well when, Arma noticed the tiny girl beside him raised her hand politely towards Phoenix, silencing her instantly as she did so. He was more or less impressed that her request had been acquiesced.  

“We both are fine. No need to fret.” Zessica answered harmoniously with a deadpanned look, flimsy of the situation they were thrown into earlier.

“Well I am glad to hear that both of you are alright.” An angelic voice snatched Arma’s attention like a mouse drawn to cheese. He reeled his eyes and settled on the other girl that was with them. He felt his grey eyes dilate in aghast. Butterflies fluttered about in his stomach and he felt electrified from warmth as he caught sight of Titania, smiling sweetly at him. Was she talking about him? Along with Zessica? Was she really worried about both of them? The very thought made his cheeks grow warm.