38 - The Climatic Final Trial

Three days had passed and Phoenix gnawed on her thumbnail nervously as she watched the Final Trial unfold on the screen before her. In Zessica’s ward room that had an empty bed beside the short girl, the majority of the others who weren’t competing looked on beside her. Zatch was lounging on the corridor wall while Caterpillar and Stabs sat beside Zessica. While they pretty much were on edge, all of them tried as best as they could to follow their comrade’s progress, willing them on.

Curious, Phoenix glanced at the shorter girl whose emotions didn’t give away. If she was feeling just as fidgety as the others, she wasn’t letting it show. She ought to be nervous though, Phoenix could feel her own stomach flipping at the prospect of Arma, her childhood friend, finally making it this far. The only thing that pretty much gave away what Zessica was feeling was her own heart which beeped rapidly on the heart rate monitor.

The arena designed for the Final Trial took the form of a high-walled labyrinth, much like the maze on that day of ‘Hide and Seek’ but this one had no mist to make visibility zero. It had various traps and pitfalls scattered throughout the whole stage to catch any unsuspecting carless competitor off guard and the walls moves, constantly changing direction over time.

Arma, with the Exoskeleton visibly on with its purple highlights had managed to keep himself largely out of trouble, only engaging three pitfalls as the triggered traps escalated on the way at the first half an hour of the Trial. Phoenix marvelled at how quickly the walls of the labyrinth changed from one path direction to another so quickly and soon, it was evident that the tall lad was struggling to keep up with the changes.

With a bit of skill and bit of luck, Sophie was quickly proving herself to be a threat as she surveyed through the confusing pathways and avoiding traps at ease. She was easily recognisable with the owner of the Exoskeleton that had baby pink highlights that was decorated on her in a flowery pattern. Once, she even managed to find unsuspecting Euphino in the midst of it all and started going all out at him. She was a nimble and effortless fight since by watching Euphino’s facial expression; Zessica could tell that she was picking him apart with surgical precision, and she hadn’t activated a Major or Minor yet.

Unfortunately for the silver haired girl, the walls began to move and Euphino had used this chance in the nick of time to get away. Ophelia, with a dark green arrow decoration on he Exoskeleton, being the bold member of their group, found her way onto the platform sections of above the maze itself. While this gave her an added advantage and safety from traps, the observant girl under the hospitals sheets knew that it also left the Rising Star Prodigy out in the open for anyone who fancied a face to face confrontation.

She watched impassively as Alois, who had been walking around in five total circles cock his head in confusion before walking at the opposite direction, reversing the never ending cycle. She tried her best not to think about it but so far, that boy had been giving her impression of someone being utterly lost and completely hopeless. She was slightly envious that he was able to take part in the Final Trial unless he took the handicap boots off, which had been his condition to participate. Zessica had no choice but to stay back since she still couldn’t go out without the oxygen tank to keep her at bay.

After fifteen minutes slipped by, the camera had its gaze on Arma, who was only meters away from Alois. It was then sounds another confrontation quickly took place catching the camera’s attention as it snapped to where Ophelia was. Zessica wasn’t surprise what the camera displayed was something she had been secretly expecting. Sophie had finally found her.

The camera had caught the silver haired girl giving a punishing kick to Ophelia’s midsection. Just as if looked like it could send Ophelia flying head over heels backwards, Ophelia caught it with the palm of her hand and twisted it. Unfazed, Sophie twisted her body, using sheer momentum to spin and use her other leg to kick at the side of the Ophelia’s jaw. Once again, the Rising Star Prodigy saw this coming and let go of the other leg before catching the oncoming blow.