Prelude

Things had escalated quickly, too quickly for me to comprehend.

Edward had told me all about the Volturi before, but I'd never thought I'd meet them so soon. My heart was torn with their verdict, overwhelming joy washed over me as they decided that they would allow us to leave alive but that was dampened quickly as Aro discovered both Edward's and Alice's secrets.

In some ways I was furious that Edward hadn't told me previously, something so vital but he'd kept it to himself, he may have never told me if Aro hadn't called his bluff. However, I think not knowing was probably best, something that was this serious was best left in the dark; it would have kept both me and Celestine out of trouble.

Edward gripped my hand securely in his own as Aro stared at us with hard eyes, he was impossible to read, his face was like stone but his eyes glistened, I could tell he was thinking about something but what that something was, was a complete mystery.

"I would like for you to wait inside the castle until sundown," Aro says softly, his voice had lost all its joyous charm and was now quiet and calculative.

"Of course," Alice smiles in reply.

"I will then escort you personally to our jet," he continues and Caius jumps out of his chair.

"Aro?" he snaps and the dark haired ancient sighs.

"We will discuss this later," Aro waves him back his eyes never leaving us. "Demetri will show you to a suitable waiting area," he says and Edward tugs me round to leave.

Demetri opened the doors for us to exit and as we left a large group of tourists flashing pictures of the architecture passed in the opposite direction. However sickened I was by their presence I took advantage of the closely following screams to ask Edward a question. "What did he mean by personally?"

"Aro is coming to Forks with us," he says solemnly.

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious Bella?" he asks and looks down at me with guilty eyes. "I'm sorry, it's my fault they know, I shouldn't have come to them, it's brought us unwanted attention."

"Oh god...is he...will he kill her?" I almost couldn't bring myself to say the words.

"Don't dwell on things like that," he says and wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"I can't help myself," I choke back tears. "She doesn't deserve this."

"She's never had a choice Bella, it was inevitably going to happen at some point, Laurent knew, he was bound for the Volturi after he'd dealt with you, Victoria would have no doubt found out as well and getting to Celestine would have broken you easily, perhaps Aro will deal with Victoria while he's there?"

"I can't help but feel this is my fault," I mutter.

"Isn't it?" Demetri's voice asks as we come to a halt, he leant against the wall with a smirk. "You jumped off a cliff for the adrenaline rush, just to see if you could catch an imaginary glimpse of your lover, that's the reason you're here," he says coldly, his murky red eyes scorching deeper than just my face.

"Don't talk to her like that tracker," Edward growls and Alice calms his by placing a hand on his shoulder.

"My apologies Isabella, I will try and make it up to you on the flight to America," he smirks and pushes away from the wall. "You will wait in here until we come for you, now I'm late for dinner, if you'll excuse me."