12. Which One's Which?

I nervously waited outside with Màgos, twiddling my thumbs.

"So I'm gonna have to fight monsters and stuff?" I inquired. I didn't think I was prepared to do that yet. The scarecrows I fought against didn't seem as formidable of an opponent as one of those charmer vampire ladies. They, for one, could move and actually attack me. And two, they have claws. They'd kill me faster than I could say, oh sh~

"Probably," answered Màgos, "And I think the prophecy must be important because Rachel hasn't been been in contact with the oracle since the war."

"War? There was a third war? I mean, I knew I lived under a rock but~"

"No it's wasn't between mortals. It was between demigods and giants. Gaea was trying to take over the world."

"Gaea? You mean that earth lady? She's like Mother Nature. Why would she try taking over the world?"

"Because of the other war. When we fought Kronos."

"Who? Never heard of him." Latin may have been my favourite lesson, but that doesn't mean I remembered everything I was told.

"He's a titan."

"Ah, that totally makes a lot of sense." I sarcastically replied before Chiron trotted up to us and told us to go in.

The counsellors were the leaders of each cabin I guessed. I saw Percy, Annabeth, Piper, Jason, Nico, Will, and others I hadn't met yet. We were gathered around a ping-pong table

"Okay everyone. As you all know, we have a prophecy to discuss. I'm aware it doesn't begin yet, but it's better to prepare ourselves while we can. It's rather clear that Thalassa is one of the four demigods in the prophecy, and Màgos is the best sorcerer of elements in the Hecate cabin. Nico is also potentially the prince of death. Any suggestions?"

A rather intimidating girl a couple years older than me, probably a child of Ares, rolled her eyes and claimed, "It's always Poseidon's runty kids."

I expected Percy to retort, but he just looked up in exasperation so I spoke up, "What's wrong with kids of Poseidon?"

She gave me a look that said shut up brat and sighed, "You idiots attract a lot of attention. Not the good kind either."

I glared at her, my temper slowly rising. She was making it seem like I asked to be a daughter of Poseidon. "Does it look like it's our fault that our mere existence attracts trouble?"

She didn't seem to know how to reply. She stayed quiet for a moment before shrugging, "You've got a sharp tongue kid. Prissy over here would reply with his only advantage over me. Nice to know you've got the guts to use something other than your overpowered water magic."

Now I was the one who didn't know how to reply. She wasn't really infuriated like I thought she would be, but she didn't act all let's-be-besties either. She seemed to have come to a grudging sense of respect for me.

The other campers, who were watching this semi-argument, slowly started to fall back into thinking of ways to prepare for the prophecy after the girl shot them with, "What are you looking at punks? Keep suggesting your dumb ideas."

"I can help train Thalassa," offered Percy. "I am the best fighter in the camp."

"Best sword fighter in the camp," Annabeth corrected him indignantly. "and even with Riptide, I can still beat you any day with my dagger."

"Oh please," scoffed Percy with a hidden smile, "I'm the one with the 'water magic' as Clarisse said earlier." So that's the girl's name.

Annabeth didn't look amused, "I'm the one who can judo flip you." She retorted, making Percy go silent.

"Point made." He admitted.

Annabeth glanced at me in a see-what-I-have-to-deal-with look and said, "I'll help train Thalassa as well. She can be better with a dagger like me."

The room was silent, waiting for any ideas. The head of the Hermes cabin began with, "Well since Nico is in the prophecy~"

"I'm not."

Another wave of silence washed over. Even Chiron seemed lost as he stepped forward, "Nico, you are the only male offspring of Hades alive at the moment. Are you implying that Hades might have another son?"

Nico shook his head, "I'm saying the prince of death isn't a son of Hades. He's the son of~"

"Thanatos," Will breathed.

"Wow. Talk about a plot twist," I muttered under my breath. "Wait, isn't he the guy who fed his son to the gods or something?"

"No, that's Tantalus you're talking about. Thanatos is the god of death," Màgos corrected. I mentally facepalmed myself for every mixup I made in Latin. How could my teacher even handle me? I repeated the difference between the names in hopes of never making that mistake in front of either of the said people. I didn't want to get smote or chopped up and fed to a god, thank you very much.

Murmurs were flowing around the room, a feeling of tension and suspense hung low over the campers. However, I was lost. Thanatos wasn't one of the 'Big Three' and lots of gods have kids. They have an affinity for humans albeit looking down on them. I've heard of maiden goddesses, but I didn't think a male god would swear to never have children. Then again, according to Annabeth, gods don't necessarily have to have a lover to have a child. Apparently Athena's kids are born from her sheer brainpower or something like that. So perhaps Thanatos is a similar case.

Chiron knocked his hoof on the floor in effort to silence the campers. The cacophony of clacks on the marble floor rang through the room, quickly hushing them up.

"Nico, how would you know of this?" Chiron inquired.

"I spoke to Hades," he answered, shrugging indifferently while fidgeting with his ring. "He still stuck to the pact and would know if one of his children beforehand was somehow alive like Hazel and I."

I wasn't sure how Nico managed to communicate with his father since the prophecy was only told yesterday and he couldn't have just used the rainbow thing overnight since he'd have needed light.

Five minutes later, it was settled that Màgos and I were two of the four kids mentioned in the prophecy and that the remaining two haven't arrived yet. He campers dispersed until only Màgos and I were left. I idly stood by the post, unsure of how to proceed.

"So... how does it feel going on a quest with the sea princess?" I asked nonchalantly.

Màgos snickered, "Sea princess? You don't seem like a princess. You're too down to earth."

"Princesses aren't ditzy, Màgos. They're bound to be righteous queens. Besides, if Poseidon is the lord of the seas, that means I technically really am a princess, so bow down peasant." I turned up my nose and mockingly pointed at him.

He dramatically bowed so low his nose nearly touched his knees and praised equally mocking reverence, "Of course, your highness. Where are my manners?"

"Apparently," I played along with a disgusted tone. "they are nowhere to be found."

We both held our expressions, waiting for the other to crack. Finally, a snort broke out from me and we were both in hysterics.

"You broke out of character first." Màgos gloated.

"Me? I did not." I denied in indignation.

He rolled his eyes, smiling, "I just hope this upcoming quest isn't too hard. Wouldn't want the sea princess getting hurt."

I nudged him while we strolled off to breakfast, "Don't worry. I have a talented, magical peasant by my side."