date

(weeks later)

"are you okay?"

"you don't have to keep asking me that you know."

"yes i do." finn insisted. jack sighed and intertwined their hands as a reassurance.

"i'm fine. can you just stop worrying and enjoy the fact that we are together and happy?"

finn opened his mouth to object, but then shut it, because the couple had already reached the pizza place.

"i remember coming here with my best friend to eat." the man at the register smiled as soon as he saw the two together.

"actually-" finn started, but jack nudged him to signal that he should stop talking. he continued anyway and raised his hand intertwined with jack's and showed the man, "we're-"

"dating." jack finally said and then looked away because he knew what was coming next. at least he had stopped finn from saying something ridiculous.

"yup, dating. we make out like all the time. he's my boyfriend. very gay." finn said with a childish voice that almost sounded like sarcasm.

jack shook his head and couldn't help but to crack a smile at what he just heard because he stood corrected.

the man's eyes widened as he looked down at his watch and then frowned at the two boys,

"sorry we're closed." and walked away only to point to the door, "door's right there."

"son of a-"

"finn don't..." jack soothingly patted his boyfriend's back, "we'll just order chinese instead? we can't just let a homophobe ruin our date okay? okay."

considering the way finn had reacted with a complete stranger, jack was scared to think of what might happen if his boyfriend and his stepfather ever came into contact with each other.

"he's not scared of us." the taller boy finally said as they walked out of the place, "he's just an asshole."