Chapter Two

***

John turned up to Julia's with a massive smile plastered on his face. Julia walked out with a brand new guitar, her hair bouncing as she walked.

'I'm so glad you came today, John.'

'Thanks Mum.' He smirked, handing her his new guitar, she grasped hold of the guitar and shivered at the sheer beauty of the instrument.

'Do you like it?' She asked. 'I never thought Mimi would buy you a guitar.'

'Of course I do.' He said, looking at the strings and playing each one to check the tuning. Himself and Julia sat and talked about Elvis for hours.

'We should go out for the day tomorrow. I'd love to take you to this bar I know, they have all the new records before they're even released here.' Julia jumped up and took John's hand. 'Oh, please say you'll come with me?'

'I'd love to.' He replied, matching her smile. 'But Mimi wouldn't allow it in a million years.' He sighed, bursting his bubble of excitement.

'So don't tell her!' She laughed.

***

Julia pulled John through the door of the bar with great enthusiasm, almost pulling his arm out of his socket.

'Mornin' Julia.' The barman said.

'Hello Lucas!' She leant over the side of the bar, sticking her backside out and making all the boys stare. 'What have you got today?'

'I think you'll like this one.' He smirked, grabbing a record and spinning it on his player. 'It's fresh from the States.'

Julia listened to a few lyrics before taking John's hand again. 'Elvis.' She said. 'Come on Johnny, let's dance.'

John felt uncomfortable, dancing with his mum wasn't something that came easy to him. He noticed all of the other men in the bar drooling over his mother, shivering awkwardly as they tried to suppress the urge to ask her to dance with them rather than himself.

'Loosen your hips a little, Johnny.' She laughed, bending down and making John sway slightly. He laughed.

'Mum! This is so embarrassing!'

'Oh come on John!' She giggled.

'No ma, I'm going to get a drink.'

'Spoil sport.' She smiled. John walked over to the bar and ordered a drink, watching as his mum continued to dance to the music.

***

'Where have you been?' Mimi's eyes burned through John.

'Mum took me to a music bar.' He said proudly.

'You went to see her?' She looked hurt.

John sighed, 'she's my mum, Mimi.'

'Clearly.' Mimi rolled her eyes. 'I hope you're still focussing on your studies though, John.'

'I've been expelled practically.' John shrugged.

'Expelled!' She cried, not believing what she was hearing.

'Well - suspended but as good as expelled.' He laughed.

'Oh John!' She shook her head. 'You could have been something great.'

'I still can, Mimi. Through music.'

'Music won't make you successful, John. It won't get you anywhere in life.'

'Just-' John took the guitar from his bag and sat Mimi down, 'give me a chance to show you.'

'I don't want to listen to your music, John.' She stood back up. 'I want to read positive school reports and good grades.'