Chapter Six

***

John sat in the corner of the room with his head on his knees. He was dressed in all black and held his mum's wedding ring in his hand.

'How are you feeling?' Bobby asked John, to which he got no response. Paul scowled at Bobby and frowned at himself. This man didn't care for John but he was grieving too.

'Not good, if I'm honest.' John said, his voice coarse.

'I'm sorry for your loss, John.' Bobby sighed.

John stood up with wide eyes. 'You're sorry? You're fucking sorry?' He screamed. 'You stopped me fucking seeing her!'

'John!' Paul took his hand and placed his other on John's shoulder and pulled him back. 'Stop it!'

'You're right.' Bobby said. 'But this isn't the place.'

'Sorry.' John sighed. 'It's - it's just the grief.'

'I know.' Bobby put his hand on John's other shoulder before walking away.

'I'm sorry Paul.' John looked Paul in the eyes and burst into tears.

'Come in here.' Paul led John into another room and pulled John into a tight hug.

'Thank you, Paul.' John sobbed. 'For everything.'

Paul didn't say anything, he just let John escape from all of the emotions he was feeling. John couldn't trust anyone else like he could trust Paul. He understood how he was feeling and he was so grateful that he was here.

'You ready to go back in?' Paul asked, pulling away. 'I'll be with you, every step of the way.'

John nodded. And Paul took John back into the room where everyone was talking of their memories with Julia.

Mimi stood up at the front of the room and tapped her glass. 'I would like to thank you all on behalf of my family, for taking the time to say goodbye to Julia. She was a strong willed woman who had a lust for life and a love for everyone she met. She would have been so proud to see you all here today so thank you.' She said before walking out of the room. John followed her out and grabbed her arm.

'Where are you going?'

'To get some air.' She said, walking away from him. 'I'll see you at the service.'

The rest of the day ran smoothly, everyone paid their respects to Julia before heading to the wake. John didn't really want to go to the wake but knew he had to. He sat in the corner with Paul most of the time, nobody at the funeral really had the time to share their condolences with him as they were unaware he existed. He was the unknown child.

Bobby and his half sisters were the main focus, everyone shook their hands and wished them well but John was forgotten.

Paul noticed this and sighed silently to himself. He thought it unfair but didn't have the power to change it.

'Shall we go?' John finally piped up after sitting in silence for around 30 minutes.

Paul looked at him and shrugged, 'it's up to you.'

'Well I'm doing no good stewing in this corner.' He frowned. 'So let's go.'

'Alright.' Paul agreed. He took John back to his house and unlocked the door. Jim McCartney was sat reading a newspaper in his chair with the radio on, listening to a brass band.

'Oh, hello John!' Jim said. 'I'm sorry for your loss.'

'Thanks.' John smiled politely, not knowing what else to do.