Chapter Three

***

'Look, Ivan, just tell him to meet me at the church hall, alright?' John said over the phone, his voice harsh and tired.

'I will, John. He'll be over the moon.' Ivan replied and John could practically hear the pride in his voice.

John buttoned up his shirt and tied his laces, grabbed his guitar and walked down the stairs. 'I'm going out, Mimi.'

'You are not, John. Not in this weather.' Mimi stormed into the landing and pointed to the window.

'It's only a bit of rain, Mimi.' He sighed, shaking his head. 'It won't kill me.'

'Don't speak like that.' Mimi frowned, looking hurt by his words.

John's voice lowered. 'I'll be back in time for dinner, I promise.' He said. He watched as his aunt let her guard down and pulled him closer to her.

'If you're going to go out, at least look presentable.' She straightened his collar and patted the creases out of the shirt that cradled his figure.

'Thanks Mimi.' He showed his gratitude, walking out of the door and shutting it behind him.

Suddenly, the door opened again to show Mimi with a fed up expression, 'you need your glasses John.'

He rolled his eyes and placed the frames across his face, noticing how much clearer everything came once they were in position. The rain was no longer blurs and Mimi's face was no longer unrecognizable. 'See you later, Mimi.' He walked down the street.

When he arrived at the church hall he looked at himself in the window and straightened his spine, wanting to make a good impression on his new bandmate. Paul was already there, wearing a blue shirt and black pipe trousers.

'We can't stay here, they're shutting the hall off.' Paul walked over to him with an elate expression.

'I know somewhere we can go.' He said, guiding Paul to one of his favourite places to spend time. He leapt over the wall and helped Paul across. 'I take it you're not used to scaling walls to go places illegally?' He teased.

Paul scoffed, 'no, not really.'

'You strike me as a good goody.' John said, finding a tree to lean against.

'Where is this place?' Paul ignored his last comment and questioned.

John laughed. 'This is Strawberry Field.' He shrugged. 'It's an orphanage.' He said. 'I like those gates over there.'

'Right.' Paul sparked out beside John on the tree opposite. 'Why are we in an orphanage?'

'It's a nice place to come.' John replied. 'Peaceful.' He looked over to the building in front of him. 'Until the kids come out, of course.' He tried to lighten the mood.

'Of course.' Paul tried to fathom John out but failed. He was someone who would intimidate you at school but he didn't seem at all like that in this moment, he seemed lost.

'D'ya want to be in my band then?' John clapped straight to business.

'Sure.' Paul smiled.

'Good.' John smiled back, shaking himself out of his natural expressions.

Paul shrugged the thoughts he was having out of his head and simply asked, 'what school do you go to?'

'Currently, Calderstones.' John replied with a laugh. 'But I'm suspended and on the verge of being thrown out so I'm starting at the College of Art in a few months.'

Paul blinked. 'Art school?'

'It's a college.' John shrugged. 'I don't really care for it much but it's a college.'