Chapter Nine

***

Alan hesitated before speaking, 'Hamburg.'

All five of The Beatles' mouths dropped. John blinked awkwardly and in disbelief before opening his mouth. 'Hamburg?' He choked.

'Hamburg, Germany.' Alan nodded.

'Why Hamburg?' John asked, noticing that the other four were incapable of speaking on behalf of the band.

'Bands from Liverpool are quite big over there, I've already given them the names of a few but they seem keen on you.' Alan said. 'I'll let you think about it over a few pints.' He stood up. 'But they want an answer tomorrow or they're going to look elsewhere.' He walked up the stairs.

'Hamburg.' John repeated in disbelief. He clicked his fingers and woke each of the others from their trances. 'What do you think?'

'I can't go to Hamburg.' Paul shook his head. 'My dad wouldn't allow it.'

'No, my parents neither.' George shrugged.

'Mimi wouldn't be too impressed either.' John twiddled his thumbs.

Stuart put his pint down and stood up. 'It's a great opportunity though. I mean - Hamburg!'

Pete blinked. 'Where is Hamburg?'

'Germany.' Paul laughed. 'He did say that.'

'I wasn't really paying attention.' Pete shrugged his shoulders, making John roll his eyes.

'He needs to know within the next few hours.' He said. 'I need to ring Mimi.' He stood and walked up the stairs to the closest phone.

George pulled Paul to the corner. 'Are you going to ask your dad?'

'I might as well try.' Paul sighed. 'You?'

'I don't know.' George said, putting his hand on his shoulder. 'I don't want to go to Germany.'

'It would be a good idea.' Paul shrugged. 'But if you're uncomfortable with the idea then we don't have to.'

'It's not that.' George said. 'I just don't want to leave my parents.'

'It's not forever, Geo.' Paul smiled.

John walked back into the room. 'Basically she said no.' He sighed. 'But essentially that's a yes.' He laughed, making Stuart snigger.

Paul went next, ringing his dad. 'Hello Dad.'

'Paul?' Jim said on the other side of the line.

'I don't have long but I need to ask quite a big question,' he itched his head awkwardly. 'Our manager got us a gig but it's for 3 months-'

'That's great news, son!' Jim exclaimed.

'No Dad - it's for 3 months in Hamburg.'

'Oh.' Jim swallowed hard. 'If that's what you have to do to follow your dream, go for it.' He smiled through the phone, making Paul's ear feel refreshed. 'It's your choice.'

'Thanks Dad.' Paul tried to sound as appreciative as possible over the phone. 'I'll see you later.'

'Bye son.'

'Bye Dad.' Paul put the phone down and handed it to George. 'I'll stay here with you if you want.' George nodded.

George's parents said no at first but George had passed the phone to Paul for him to explain the situation.

'It's a 3 month lease with a bar in Hamburg.' He explained. 'We get accommodation included and it's a great opportunity for the band.' Paul had put his hand on George's shoulder for support. 'I'll take care of him.' He smiled. 'Yep, next week.' George swallowed. 'Thank you Mrs Harrison.' He put the phone down. 'Guess who's going to Hamburg?'