Chapter Four

***

One morning, when Paul had slept on the sofa of Mendips with John on the floor, Mimi was awoken by a knock on the door. She got up to see who it was and allowed the person into her home.

'Don't wake John.' She ordered.

'I wanted to apologise to him.' Julia looked at John lying on the floor. 'I've been such a terrible mum.'

'Yes.' Was all Mimi could say. 'I'll let him know you dropped by.'

'Don't be like that, Mimi.' Julia crossed her arms. 'I'm still your sister.'

John figgeted in his sleep. 'Keep your voice down!' Mimi scowled.

'I need to see him.' She said. 'Can I wait here?'

John's eyes opened, he looked at Paul and saw that he was still conked out and then looked at Mimi. His eyes then scanned to see Julia stood there, a smile plastered on her face.

'What are you doing here?' He jumped up from the floor, forgetting Paul was asleep still. 'You said you didn't want to see me. You don't have the right to decide when and where you see me.'

'John, I wanted to apologise.' Julia sighed.

'I'm not interested anymore.' He said, hitting Julia in the chest. 'I want you to go.' Julia still stood. 'I said go!'

Paul sat up awkwardly, looking at the two women stood in front of him and blushing awkwardly. He pulled the blanket over him.

'Sorry Paul, somebody thought it'd be alright to just walk back into my life.' John sniped.

'It's alright.' Paul wiped his eyes. He squinted at the two women by the door and assumed the one beside Mimi must be Julia, they had similarities in their looks.

'John, come by later today.' Julia pleaded. 'I need to see you.'

'No, I'm with Paul today.' He spat, making her feel worthless.

'But I'm your mum.' She cried.

'Some mum.' He hissed. 'I'm spending the day with my friend.'

'Bring him along, you wouldn't mind, would you?' Julia looked at Paul with pleading eyes. 'I'm his mother. If it was yours-' She said, unbeknownst of the facts. 'John would do the same for you.'

Paul swallowed hard. And John noticed his clear uncomfort.

'Don't be insensitive.' John growled. Julia's eyes shrunk in confusion.

'It's alright John, she wasn't to know.' Paul tried to calm the situation. 'We can pop by if you want to.'

'I don't want to.' John grumbled.

'Please John.' Julia let a tear fall.

'Just go!' John screamed, feeling like his heart couldn't break anymore.

Julia walked out of the room with sad eyes. She grabbed a tissue and left the house.

'I tried to make her go, John.' Mimi said. 'I'm sorry.'

'It's her fault. She just doesn't know when to stop.' John collapsed onto the floor. Paul put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Mimi nodded and left the room, understanding that she couldn't help in this situation. 'Why doesn't she just stay out of my life?'

'Because she loves you.' Paul handed John a tissue.

'I can't believe I'm crying in front of you.' He laughed slightly. Paul scoffed.

'Well- it's understandable.'

John looked Paul in the eyes and smiled. 'I don't know what it is but I feel I can be myself with you.'