Chapter Seven

***

'Morning John.' Cynthia walked up behind John and Paul.

Paul nudged John towards her and nodded, indicating him to do what he had been told to do.

'Look, Cyn, about last night, I'm really sorry. It won't ever happen again.' John looked awkwardly at his feet.

'I suppose you told Paul?' Cynthia folded her arms. 'Like you tell him everything?'

John nodded, making Paul look quickly at the floor.

'Well, Paul, I'd prefer if you forgot about it. I'm willing to because it was just the grief.' Cynthia smiled and leant into Paul's ear, whispering, 'I don't want him to feel bad about it.'

'Right.' Paul nodded. 'Got it.'

'You coming Paul?' George called from the college gates.

'I'll see you later John, Cynthia.' He bowed and ran off.

'Why weren't you on the bus?' George asked.

'Oh, John stopped over so I had to walk with him to his this morning and we missed the bus.' Paul told him.

Cynthia took John's hand and walked with him into the college hall. There stood the Headmaster with a grin on his face. 'Good morning Students.'

The students all repeated the usual 'good morning' before he continued.

John dozed off after that, imagining a life with no college where he could just play music all day and hang out with his band. That's what he'd told Julia he would do and that's a promise he intended to keep.

***

'Right lads, this is a big gig for us.' John said, nodding to George, who was offering him a cigarette.

'It's a sweet bar innit?' Stuart dragged his cigarette smoke back out and smiled.

Paul rolled his eyes. 'You feelin' alright Geo?' He asked.

'I'm alright.' George nodded.

'And you Paul? Are you alright?' John smirked.

'I'm alright.' He smirked back.

'What is this? Some kind of inside joke?'

'Right.' John clapped, ignoring Stu's question. 'Let's fuckin' do this!'

The band walked out onto the stage. The Casbah was filled with people, ir was the largest crowd they'd played to yet and they were excited to get started. Stu stood at the front with a smile on his face.

Paul noticed Stu in the audience and grumbled. He was always there, always watching like a dog. He couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy about Stuart's and John's friendship.

'Welcome to the Casbah!' John greeted the crowd. 'I can barely see you all, these lights are bloody bright.' He shrieked. 'Wait a second! Where's everyone gone?'

'We haven't even started yet and you've already scared 'em off.' Paul taunted on cue.

'You fellas are blind.' George emerged from the back. 'Look at all their bonny faces there.'

'Oh yeah.' Paul laughed.

'Shall we get to it then?' John grinned.

Stuart called from the crowd, 'that's all we want!'

'I want my mummy but we don't always get what we want.' John joked, putting on a childish tone and stomping his feet, receiving laughs from the none-the-wiser audience.