Chapter Five

***

Paul straightened his school uniform and tapped another boy on his back. The boy turned around and furrowed his eyebrows.

'Paul?'

'Hey! Do you remember me telling you about that band I'm in?' He asked.

'I think you mentioned it on the school bus, why?'

'Well- we're looking for a lead guitarist and you play, don't you?' He questioned.

The boy grinned. 'Yeah I do.'

'Do you fancy showing off your skills to the others tonight?' Paul asked. The boy thought about it before saying,

'Alright, when?'

'I'll see you at the bus stop at 8.' Paul said before walking away.

Paul explained to his dad that he was going out, not giving too many details about who with or what he would be doing because he didn't know himself. He just promised he'd be back by midnight.

'Alright Paul.' Jim nodded. 'Be safe.' He spoke the words of Paul's mother. That was her signature line.

When Paul arrived at the bus stop the other boy was already there. He was wearing his leather jacket and a red shirt. Paul couldn't help but feel that John would like this boy.

'Evening George.' Paul greeted him.

George smiled. He was a skinny lad in the year below Paul at school. He didn't much like school and often took the badge off his uniform whenever off the premises so people didn't know where he went, the polar opposite of Paul, who was proud of the school he went to and often showed it off.

George was 15 and had taught himself to play the guitar just like Paul. The two got the same school bus each morning and bonded over music, becoming quite close. George was quite popular in his year at school and tended to get on with everyone. He had a slight 'badboy' name around the school but he wasn't a bad kid. He did the work and then went home.

George didn't live in Liverpool like Paul and John, he lived just a street outside of Liverpool in Knowsley. However, it wasn't too far from Liverpool as the houses just opposite from him were in fact in Liverpool. (Fun fact for you all there).

'We're meeting the others on the bus.' Paul explained.

Soon enough the bus arrived, Paul and George paid the fare and walked up the stairs to the top deck. John sat at the back with his feet on the chair opposite. He greeted Paul with a nod.

'Oh yeah,' Paul said. 'And they don't know anything about you coming tonight.'

'Right.' George grew quite shy.

'I didn't know you had to babysit, Paulie.' John teased, making George feel uncomfortable.

'Very funny, Lennon.' Paul smirked. 'This is George Harrison, he plays guitar.'

'Oh yeah?' John sat up, instantly becoming interested.

'Yeah, show 'em George.' Paul sat down beside John and watched as George set up.

'At least he holds it the right way up.' John joked, nudging Paul. The other lads noticed the close relationship between Paul and John but didn't say anything about it. It was as if they'd known each other longer than any of the others.

'Sod off John.' Paul laughed.

George started to strum the guitar and watched as everyone went from straight faced to stunned. 'I can play more if you'd like me to.'