Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride {Book 2}: Chapter 21

The week following my meeting with Alexander dragged. Having exhausted all of the entertainment facilities, all that was left was to lay on my bed, bored out of my mind. After the fourth day of doing nothing, and not leaving my room except for meals and to use the bathroom, Charlotte had expressed some concern. She believed it was because of what happened with Alexander in the medical wing. It took a long time to convince her that I was just bored. I didn't want to see him like that again anyway, that wasn't him, and I wasn't going to visit Alexander if he wasn't himself.

I couldn't begin to imagine how the soldiers had stayed here so long, especially underground with so much concrete separating them from the world outside. It was practically empty these days now they were all out fighting.

Instead of doing anything to efficiently pass time, I lay bouncing a ball off the wall at the foot of my bed. The grey walls and lack of amenities in my room really added to the jail-like theme of my cell-room... not to mention that I was effectively locked down here.

I'd heard the fighting had retreated nearer to the coast once again so we must've been winning. The King was away with Leandra and Charlotte planning repairs to the castle and its grounds after the attack the night we came here. I couldn't wish for anything more than to leave.

There was a knock at my door, despite it saying 'do not disturb' and so using every bit of effort left in my body, I dragged myself over to the intercom on my wall.

"Can't you read the sign?" I snapped.

"Very well, actually."

I didn't like the sarcastic tone of this person, especially since they read the sign and chose to ignore it and disturb me (while I did nothing).

"Fancy opening up?" They asked.

When I caught a glance at the person outside my room, I couldn't open the door fast enough as I scrambled to get my arms around them for a hug and I was hugged back twice as tight. My tears forced their way from eyes, dampening the sweater of the wearer, leaving a dark mark.

Alexander was back, and he was back to normal.

"I missed you so much," I blubbered noisily.

"Words cannot explain how much I've missed you too," he murmured over my shoulder.

When he pulled away and held me at arm's length, just staring, a smile formed. "Still as beautiful as ever, even with all that snot dribbling out of your nose."

He handed me a tissue from his pocket, and I wiped my face, beyond embarrassed. This was not the kind of meeting I'd hoped for, but God was I glad to hold him again. When I finished wiping, Alexander pulled me in for a kiss and my body felt ten times hotter than normal.

"I love you so much."

"I love you too."

I noticed he was still a lot paler than usual, and some scars were still scattered along his arms and neck, but his face was scar-free. He must've noticed my staring because he was eager to roll the sleeves of his sweater back down.

"Listen, I know it's late. They only released me a few hours ago and I had to arrange some things so I couldn't see you straight away. But I wanted to see you before I went to sleep," he stammered.

"It's okay," I assured him. "Were you going to sleep now?"

"Yeah, still a little weak, you know." He leaned in for another kiss. "So, have a good evening, and I'll come first thing tomorrow."

No.

My arm darted out to his wrist, it was cold, but that didn't matter. I didn't want him to go. Not now, not after being separated for so long.

His eyes were wide with shock as he waited for my reason for grabbing him so suddenly.

"Stay, please..." I almost whispered.

Slowly, he nodded and shut the door behind him. I got into bed first, and he soon followed. He pressed against me, one arm wrapped around my waist and his face almost nuzzled into the back of my neck... at least he remembered my neck was sensitive.

I'd never slept with anyone like this in such a cramped bed, and I hoped he wouldn't wake up with a greasy face because of my hair.

His breathing slowed down so quickly that I thought he'd stopped almost completely, but he was just sleeping. He must've been tired. Hopefully, I wouldn't toss and turn like I do some nights. I didn't want to wake him; the alarm would do that tomorrow.

-Or so I thought it would.

I woke up gradually, slightly confused by my lack of ability to move my arms, then I remembered Alexander was here with me. I wanted to stay like that and not disturb him, but as my senses kicked in, and I got hot. I probably should've turned on the AC or wore pyjamas...

There was no blaring of the alarm. Not once, in all my time here had I beat the alarm in the morning.

I managed to sneak out of Alexander's grip and quickly steal a glance at him as he slumbered. He looked peaceful, his lips slightly ajar and his brown hair hanging over his face ever so slightly. It was slightly longer than it was before.

I took off my jumper, remembering that I also had a vest on underneath and threw it in the wash bin.

I stepped out of my room to check the alarm was working on the panel. The time shown was not what I expected, I looked at Charlotte's behind me and hers read the same: it was almost noon. Either my alarm was broken, or I slept through it...

But Alexander, he never usually slept in any later than 10 am. He must've been tired last night if even he slept through the alarm with his acute hearing.

After showering and getting myself ready, I returned to my room to Alexander staring at the things on my desk that had been retrieved from my room in the castle. The charm bracelet Alexander bought me, a few pictures, makeup, and my tablet that I couldn't even use in case it was being tracked were all there.

"Afternoon, I guess," I greeted chirpily.

"That redhead was your friend, wasn't she?" He asked slowly, still looking at the desk.

"Gemini?"

"I thought it was Cornelia... well, I wasn't really in a good state of mind then."

"Cornelia, yes, she was a friend. Why?"

"I remembered her talking to me while I was down there. She told me she knew you, and that she was going to get me out. I was in so much pain; I couldn't talk. I wanted to tell her Austin was down there too, I don't know how she didn't smell him. But after hearing what she told me, Austin was furious that he'd been played. Since he knew she was your friend, instead of dismembering me, he beheaded her. Thought it'd send a message. She put up a fight against the guards, but they were nothing like I'd seen before and they got her. It was so gruesome he didn't even use a sharp knife to do it, he just-"

"Stop!" I yelled.

I didn't want to hear the details. I didn't know what happened, or how she got caught. I just wanted to let it be. I didn't need those thoughts plaguing my nights. I covered my ears and tried to shut what he was saying out. Alex came up to me and took my hands away from my ears.

"It's my fault. If I wasn't so weak, then, she wouldn't have died and you wouldn't have lost another friend because of me!"

I put a hand to his cheek as gently as possible and tears started to form in his eyes. This was eating away at him, and I'd never seen him like this before. He was shaking and his eyes were just... locked on to mine, but they were glazed over.

"Alex, please don-"

But before I could finish I had been engulfed in a hug by the man in front of me as he began bawling, much like I did the night before. I had to fight my tears back for his sake, and do my best to console him. I felt so useless as my soul shattered and my heart broke at the sight of him. No words could console him now, not from me, not from anyone. I didn't know what to do aside from holding him for as long as he needed me to. He'd been through hell and back for the sake of his country and I was going to support him as best as I could.

"I remember how I treated you when you first visited me in the hospital and I'm so, so sorry!" He choked out.

"This is not your fault and you do not have to apologise. Austin put you through hell, and he is going to pay for it," I declared, trying my hardest to keep my voice strong.

Alexander froze and stopped hugging me. His irises were rimmed with red and on his face was a glare. "You're right. He will."He squeezed my hand and began to leave, "I'll see you later. I have to go to medical."

He was gone before I could respond. He wasn't okay. I didn't know exactly what Austin did to him, but it was must've been terrible if Alexander came back like that. He was going to pay.

While eating in the cafeteria, a man approached me and told me there was going to be an interview, now that Alexander was back. It was to reassure the people of Nox Aterrima that everything was going to be fine. We didn't know that for sure but, to stop any unrest, then it had to be said.

The interview wouldn't be held at the base because its location was secret, so we had to go elsewhere for the interview tomorrow. We also had to go somewhere to get clothes.

The time to leave this jail in the hills couldn't come any sooner. I needed more than 30 minutes on the surface to function like a normal human... even if we had to come straight back here once we were finished.

Back in my room, clothes were waiting for me on my bed; they were mine from the castle: a white fitted high neck jumper, a pink corduroy skirt, tights and vans. I couldn't go out in these drab grey clothes they provided us here, and it would be good to wear some colour for a change. I put them on and went to wait for everyone back at the elevator at the designated time I'd been told.

Everyone but Alexander was there, and I worried he wouldn't come since he was still recovering and after the thing this morning. He turned up not long after in light blue skinnies and an oversized orange hoodie.

He kissed my forehead before greeting everyone else and we all got into the elevator. I had missed forehead kisses and the warm feeling that followed suit, I couldn't contain my smile.

Charlotte approached him and made sure he was suitable just before stepping out, "obviously, we cannot be out for more than five hours because you need-"

Alexander waved her off dismissively, "I know, I know. I'll be fine anyway."

"What do you need?" I inquired.

"Nothing you need to worry about," he responded simply, trying his best to smile. He took my hand, walked me to the car, and opened the door for me to get in first.

He wanted to keep it a secret, that much was obvious, so I didn't pry, it was his choice if he wanted to tell me. It might've been something to do with his recovery, maybe medicine.

We still had security with us, but they'd tail after us at a distance, again, so the citizens didn't feel on edge if we were seen by them.

Jayden exhaled heavily as he started the engine, "it's been forever since we've driven together like this."

He hadn't driven at all for a long time and he'd better not be reckless now, the last thing we needed was an accident. He sped off down the hill, taking me, and obviously Alexander by surprise as he gripped my hand even tighter.