Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride {Book 2}: Chapter 43

I watched as Alexander focused intensely on what to do with his freshly washed hair; to the left? To the right? Middle part or slicked back? It wasn't much later that he turned to me in a huff, his lips puffy in a pout.

He gestured to his head, sensing I'd been watching his defeat.

"Come on, you do your hair every day and now we have an event, you don't know what to do?" I joked, picking up the comb on the vanity.

"I wanted to do something different with it..." he murmured.

"Princess and hairstylist!" I jested. "You haven't had a proper haircut in a while, but this length actually suits you. It's a popular length: long, but not long enough to tie up."

He looked confused in the reflection, "anyway, I'll do you a little side part and your cute lil curls will do the rest. You'll look less formal in your suit, which is what you wanted."

Alex's brow raised, "brains and beauty, huh?"

"Brawn too if I'm tested. Hurry and get dressed, guests have probably already started arriving."

He disappeared into the closet, only to return in black fitted dress pants and a striped white shirt, looking, as I predicted, smart-casual.

He looked great, but my eyes were drawn upwards of his outfit, not to his face, but to his exposed neck which was detailed with what I could only describe as a choker, a diamond one at that.

"That's hot," I commented, gesturing to it, "although, I'm hurt you didn't ask me to help you put it on."

"I know you love me and think I'm hot, but I'm wholly capable of dressing myself."

"And yet you can't do your own hair."

I grinned as he sighed, throwing up a white flag once again. He took my hand and lead us down to the newly decorated ballroom whose imposingly large double doors stood open revealing clusters of guests located around the room, some I recognised and others I didn't.

Emmanuel was already mingling with guests, Henrietta by his side, unsurprisingly since this was an event for him. Leandra, Charlotte, Jayden and Leyton were doing the same, but there was no sign of the King or Queen as of yet.

Music was playing in the background, just loud enough to be heard of the room's conversations.

A maid hurried over to us, a tray of glass flutes in her grip, "Prosecco, your highnesses," she said. We each took a glass, thanked her and attempted to weave our way through the guests to little success as of course, everyone wanted to talk to us.

It was unusually lighthearted, which was good. No undertones of war or impending threat, just the joy of normality and freedom. It felt good, and it must've been the same for everyone else as there were smiles all around.

This was actually a little going away party for Emmanuel, who was leaving the next day. He was a fan of parties which was no surprise. So we only thought it'd be right to throw him one after all he'd done for us.

Over time, the music gradually got louder and louder creating a more party atmosphere, and the King and Queen finally made their grand entrance so things could really get going.