Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride {Book 2}: Chapter 38

Nearing the dining room, that suffocating stench of lavender hung over the room and wafted through the hallways, but upon entering the room, the Queen was nowhere to be seen, everyone else was already sat. There were two available seats beside Jayden facing the main entrance. Adjacent to the left were the King and Queen's seats, to the right, Emmanuel and Henrietta. Across from us were Leyton, Charlotte, and Leandra.

There were waiters lined up against the backs of the walls dressed in all black, and also one stood a foot away from each chair around the table. They bowed towards me and Alex when we entered and then returned to their equally stoic expressions.

The table was adorned with all sorts of exquisite gold cutlery and decorations, it looked stunning, but it signaled that this wasn't about to be a normal meal. This was much more extravagant than normal dinner.

"Hey dad," Alexander casually greeted. I wished I could act the same but I was far too nervous, so he got a rigid 'good evening' from me.

Mine and Alex's allocated waiters pulled out our seats to sit on, and poured us some champagne.

I shakily took a sip, probably needing something to take away the anxiety of having to sit and eat so close to someone who was enraged at the very thought of me.

Alexander snaked his fingers between mine and brought them up to his mouth, planting a kiss on my ring and rubbing it over with his thumb. "You don't need to be nervous. She can't do anything while I'm here, and if she does, well..." he trailed off, but I knew he had something in mind.

A little reassurance goes a long way... I hoped.

The Queen appeared at the doorway, and blew a kiss at the King. She then strutted over to the table and stood beside her seat at the head of the table next to him.

"Today's meal will be based on my three favourite locations from travelling the world; Bordeaux, London and New York. They've all been specially prepared and imported for today. We'll begin with our French starter," she clapped twice, and a stream of waiters flowed in, "Salmon, compressed cucumber, oyster ceviche and oyster mayonnaise."

I wasn't aware oyster mayonnaise was even a thing, but despite not being the biggest oyster or salmon fan, I actually really enjoyed the starter. The salmon was a cute sphere shape sat on top of the oyster ceviche, the compressed cucumber was sat on top, of course, it wouldn't be a boujee meal without garnishing. It was a very instagram-worthy meal but... no phones at the table and I didn't have an instagram.

Dinner soon followed, which was no one was against, we were all starving, and I knew these vampires could eat up a storm. My stomach felt like it could do the same.

The main course was salt marsh spring lamb loin, with a side of wild asparagus and fennel pollen all the way from London.

"So is this how you guys usually eat when the queen is here?" I leaned over closer to Alex to whisper.

He shook his head slightly, "she might. We don't all usually eat together for some reason or another, mostly because there's usually tension. I eat whatever the chef makes. Notice how my father is leading most of the conversations?" He answered.

I scanned the table, seeing everyone seemed to be more willing to join the conversation if the king started it, or joined in. It also seemed to be the case for Emmanuel. With so many different relationships, it made sense, I just hadn't really realised. I was trying to keep my head down, with the Queen hating me, Henrietta disliking me, and Jayden having the habit of making any situation worse. Sticking to speaking when spoken to was my best bet for the mean time, until I felt more at ease around the table.