A Look Into Three Minds

David's mouth hung wide open as he stared at Max. Nikki grabbed his sleeve and pulled Max back, looking frightened. "Why would you say that Max?!" She whisper-yelled, glancing up at David's stunned face wearily.

The counselor pulled himself together and shook his head. "There's a body in the lake?" He asked, looking bewildered. Max narrowed his eyes. "Don't play dumb, what role did you have in this?" David shook his head again. "No no, I really didn't know." He seemed so honest... it hurt Max in a way he couldn't describe.

"Then why were you washing blood off of your arms two nights ago?" The redhead looked at Max worriedly. "That blood was mine! And besides, most of it was mud. Now I have to ask you, why were you out of bed?"

Max felt himself relaxing, looking into David's eyes. "I heard a scream..." he mumbled weakly. "That... was me. I told you all I fell right? Truth is I fell down the hill where the rocks were, and got pretty banged up. So I went to the river to wash up. I didn't know there was a body, really."

Slowly, Max stepped towards David. Nikki and Neil managed to stand up and get behind their friend, albeit shakily. "Then who were you talking to?" This took David aback for a moment, but he recovered quickly. "He's the guy I've been going out with... when I fell down the hill I dropped my axe and it landed in the mud. Thanks to him I got it back, and got all the blood out of my clothes."

Relief washed over Max. David wasn't a murderer! He was the same happy-go-lucky counselor he so despised. A grin stretched Max's face almost painfully, and he hugged David's legs. "Oh thank god! You're not gonna kill us all! You're still just an annoying dick!" David grimaced, unsure of how to react. He just decided to pat Max's head affectionately.

"Alright kiddos, now that we have that sorted out, it's time to get to the mess hall! I'll investigate what you've told me, and see what I can find. Don't you worry campers! Everything is just fine!" With that, the tired and irritated trio was sent off, and David walked to the edge of the woods, leaning heavily against a tree.

It hurt him to lie to the kids like this, but David knew that they couldn't find out. Especially not Max. He didn't want the poor kid to be traumatized by something like that.

It wasn't like he killed people all the time though. Mostly David just stuck to things like bears and wolves. It kept the urges satisfied and didn't put people in danger. But sometimes an opportunity would prevent itself, and he just couldn't help but let loose once in a while.

Now David knew it was wrong. Killing people, or anything, without reason wasn't ok. Nontheless he had to. If he didn't, he got jumpy and twitchy. Not to mention that any anger he felt would quickly turn to violence. Not even the pills helped with that.

David sighed heavily and ran a hand down his face, flinching in pain when his fingers brushed his black eye. He hadn't broken his nose thank god, but it ached. What was he gonna do now?

David groaned and hit the back of his head against the tree. His fingers already itched to kill again, and he felt himself shivering. Dammit. Breathing in deeply, David forced himself to relax and headed into the mess hall.

Daniel sat in the coffee shop alone, looking down at his half empty cup blankly. However his mind was racing in all different directions. While he acted nonchalant, when he'd found out about David's... tendencies, there had been a jolt of fear.

It faded sure, but a prickling uneasiness remained. The sweet redhead didn't seem capable of such things at all! But the way his shoulders shook with laughter as blood pooled into the water... Daniel would never forget how the moonlight caught David's eyes.