Little Devil Darling

There was a sick sense of satisfaction to playing with people's brain, Daniel found. Ever since the first time he'd watched someone's face twist into fear, uncertainty, because of him. It gave him a high like no other. They believed him, trusted him, and he ruined them.

But David was different. No matter how Daniel tried to manipulate this naive, innocent man, he always lost. He couldn't kill David, despite trying twice. And now the cursed redhead had managed to steal Daniel's heart. Something he had thought impossible for the longest time.

Yet here he was, arm wrapped around David's waist, and feeling the soft tickle of David's hair on his shoulder. It disgusted him. What the fuck had happened? Max was so very wrong. Daniel hadn't ruined David...

David had ruined him.

Whichever way he turned the issue, the case persisted. He was wrapped around the counselor's finger, willing to kill for him yes. But also willing to die for him. Love, what a shameful and vile thing. And Daniel loved every cursed, agonizing second of it.

The pair was sitting out by the lake, legs dangling over the edge of the dock, intertwined. It was so peaceful, so calm. Ironic considering both were very unstable indeed. Daniel knew that now. They could have stayed like that forever, if it hadn't been for one teensy little interruption.

"There you are! You fucker, we weren't finished!" Daniel let out an annoyed huff, turning to the source of the irritation. Max, of fucking course. Could this boy not keep his nose out of Daniel's business? Apparently not, as the scruffy ravenette snarled up at the cultist. Like a little wolf, he thought in amusement.

"Max? What are you doing?! You shouldn't be running around yet! Oh gosh you're so pale! What were you thinking?" Ever the parent, David rushed to Max and started fussing over him. It didn't pass Daniel's attention how afraid Max looked, as if he was trying not to flinch away from the touch. So the boy was scared of David? But why?

Then he remembered. The way David's fingers always twitched, how his eyes were colder, the way he was so quick to anger now. Antsy, twitchy, angry. Observant Maxie of course picked up on it! His precious counselor was changing into something new. Daniel smirked, lips curling like a cat that had spotted a mouse.

"I'm fine David! But you need to get the fuck away from Daniel!" Max was shaking, with rage or fear he did not know. David looked shocked. "What are you talking about Max?! You need to calm down, you're panicking." Again he moved towards Max, but the boy stumbled back with barely contained terror.

David flinched. He'd never seen Max so afraid before, and he didn't like it. Gingerly the redhead knelt down, putting a hand on the shivering boy's shoulder. "Max, please, take a deep breath. Nothing you're saying makes sense." Though it looked like the camper was going to lose his kind, he obeyed and took a deep gulp of air.

"Now that you've calmed down, what's wrong?" Asked the counselor, ever friendly. It was now or never. Wearily, Max cast a glance at Daniel, who gave him a dangerous look. "I know w-what Daniel does, you need to call the fucking cops David!" Both men went very pale. "Wh- What does that mean, Max?"

"It means Daniel kills people, David! He tried to kill us all when he came to camp and he has no intentions of stopping! H-he must have brainwashed you or something but he's a fucking cultist! And he's gonna kill you too!" Daniel let out and audible growl, stepping towards Max. Maybe that outburst had been a bad idea... uh oh, Daniel was smiling. That had definitely been a bad idea.

"Now Maxwell, don't you know it's incredibly rude to make such assumptions about people?" His voice was sickly sweet as he approached. But thankfully,  David was there before Daniel could try anything. He scooped Max into his arms and gave Daniel a look that halted the blond in his tracks. "It seems like we have a lot to talk about. Maybe it'd be best if we all went somewhere private, okay?" Neither boy had the guts to argue, and so off they went.

Why was David so calm? He'd literally just been told that his boyfriend was a murderer and here he was, casually taking the group to his cabin like it was no big deal. Max had the sinking feeling that he was about to have some very unpleasant revelations about his happy-go-lucky counselor.

David kicked the cabin door shut behind himself and set Max down. The boy was settled into a chair obviously meant for someone of David's size. The counselor took a seat behind his desk and Daniel pulled up another wooden chair from somewhere, Max wasn't sure. An awkward silence followed the final screech of wood, and Max began to shift nervously. After all, he was still weak and all the panic was starting to make him dizzy.

Finally, David broke the crushing silence. "So, Max. Care to explain?" The ravenette blinked, dazed and a bit confused. "What?" He asked stupidly. "Explain. Why did you make those accusations against Daniel?"

Thrown off by David's calm attitude, Max couldn't come up with an excuse or lie. So he fessed up. "Nikki, Neil, and I all followed you into town and found out you were dating Daniel. T-then we found that body in the lake! Then Gwen and I investigated and saw Daniel-!" He stopped, swallowing hard. "T-torturing someone. Then he made me drink something a-and I passed out. But everyone forgot all of it! He's dangerous! He probably dumped that body in the lake and wants to do the same to you!"

David looked mildly surprised, and a bit nervous. But not the shock or disgust or anger Max expected. The blond clicked his tongue, giving Max a sharp look. "I didn't put the body in the lake." "Well who else could have?!" Max spat, infuriated. David raised a calming hand, but was starting to look more disconcerted. "You followed Daniel?"

"Yes! And we saw him kill someone!" David raised his eyebrows at Daniel, who merely shrugged. Max began to grow suspicious. "Wait, why are you so relaxed about this? Shouldn't you be- like- freaking the fuck out?" The conselor shook his head, almost sadly. Max felt his anxiety began to bubble up. Why did he have a bad feeling about this?

David gently set a hand on his knee, green eyes full of sympathy and sadness. But so, so empty. "Max, I think I have a confession to make."