Epilouge

Excerpt from a news article;
"Six months later the search for missing child Maxwell, and missing counselor David continues. Last seen at summer camp, Camp Campbell. They disappeared on the morning of august 1st, and haven't been seen since. Police suspect that David and infamous murderer Daniel kidnapped the child during the night. Investigation is still underway. If you have any information, please contact-"

Gwen tossed the paper aside in disgust. The cops were no help then. She knew David didn't kidnapp him! The two were both taken- she was sure of it. It had been two months, and everyone left for home for the start of the school year a long time ago. In that time Gwen's memories had come flooding back, and she felt awful. Brushing Max aside, ignoring her feelings. It was her fault that they were gone. That Daniel had them. The months following were wracked with guilt, which was almost worse than the horrible dreams of Daniel's too wide, cutting grin.

All she could really hope for was that he was still alive. Her fingers tap tap tapped against the steering wheel and she turned off the engine. Time to go inside, she suppoused. The woman stepped out and headed upstairs, fingers curled around the crumpled newspaper. After downing a (read: 3) coffee, she stumbled upstairs. What was the point anymore?

Sure, David had been annoyingly optimistic and sometimes made Gwen want to shoot herself, but he wasn't a bad guy. Not by any means! Max was a brat- but he was 10! 10! And they were both gone. Weakly she clung to the hope that they were alive, but that got less likely each and every day. Gwen could feel her eyes well up, and tiredly rubbed them. She should get some sleep, maybe.

Off came her shirt, replaced with a ratty old one instead. Her hair was let down and she shuffled into the bathroom to brush her teeth. Dull as ever. Her daze was interrupted by a flash past her window. Gwen whirled around, terror like an ice inside of her; with eyes like a wild animal backed into a corner she stared into the darkness to see-

Nothing. Nothing at all.

The thudding of her heart stilled and she felt like an idiot. Of course there was no one there, just a lack of sleep getting to her. She brushed it off and finished washing up. The house always made her uneasy at night, and all she wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep.

Slowly her feet dragged her to her bedroom, and she turned on the light. All breath was choked out of her then, and she felt an acute sense of sinking.

On her bed lay a small, folded up note.

Shaky fingers reached out to grab it, and she opened it. David's loopy, happy handwriting stared back.

"Hello Gwen! I hope you're doing well, and Max says hi! We're doing great, so don't worry about us. Daniel's been very good! I just wanted to write you this to say that you don't seem to be feeling good, and I'm worried. You should get some sleep. Your house is lovely!
P.S- I made your bed, it was getting really messy. You should know better!
Your counselor buddy, David."

Gwen's trembling ran up her body, until she was a shaking leaf in the wind. It was undeniably David, down to the stupid tree he drew next to his name. It made her want to cry her eyes out. Max was with him, and they were safe. But how sane? He... he had to have broken into her house to plant this. Something was deeply wrong with David, and there was nothing Gwen could do. She collapsed, and felt herself begin to cry.

David looked proudly at the house. It was lovely. Maybe needed fixing, but he was up for it! A beautiful little cabin in the woods, with dark oak and a polished floor. Two stories even, and with plenty of room for the three of them! Daniel joined him, an arm wrapped around his lover. Max reluctantly stood, trying to pretend like he didn't like it as much as he did.

Things were perfect! No police, a short drive to town, and his family all in one place! David could feel himself beaming. This was all he'd ever wanted, a new start!

"You're pretty happy about this huh?" Max asked. He'd spoken much softer since they left, almost fondly when he talked to David. "Of course! This is the beginning of something amazing!" Said David, and Daniel tightened his grip a little. "It sure is Davey. It sure is."

The sun began to set over the horizon, and even Max managed a quirk of the lip. He got what he wanted too. A family that cared, a house that didn't stink of cigars, and freedom. Freedom from his thoughts, anxieties, burdens. A few lives seemed a small price to pay. Yes, he thought.

This was truly the best day of his life.

The End.