Suspicious Activity

David wasn't really sure what had changed. It was like a switch had been completely flipped! Just a week ago, Daniel and Max seemed to despise each other, and Max was a panicked wreck. Now the two were getting along like peanut butter and jelly! Well, by Max standards anyway. The boy was still snarky and sharp witted, but he didn't seem to antagonize Daniel so much anymore. It was strange yes, but who was David to complain? He was just happy that they were getting along.

The counselor bounced happily out of his cabin, seeing Gwen chugging coffee and hearing something like 'I'm gonna ducking shill my shelf'. Just Gwen being Gwen! He pushed open the mess hall doors, smiling widely at the campers all sitting there. Max waved weakly, giving what could pass for a smile, but was more of a pained grimace. He'd take what he could get. Ever since Max and Daniel had started liking (tolerating was more accurate, but David liked to be optimistic) each other, his own mental health had gotten so much better! Soon, he knew he'd be back to his chipper self!

Gwen joined him soon after he sat down, looking exhausted and deeply troubled. David frowned. "You don't look so hot Gwen, is something wrong? Oh no! Did you get sick from the expired coffee again?" "I told you David, there was rat poison in that coffee! And no- I'm not sick. I just-" she paused, rubbing her head and groaning, "I can't help but feel like I've forgotten something, something super important. It's driving me fucking crazy!" Her head landed with a dull thump on the table, and David patted her back sympathetically. "I'm sorry Gwen. But look on the bright side! Maybe something will happen to trigger that memory, and it'll all come flooding back!" Gwen didn't look like she believed him, but appreciated it anyway. "Thanks David." Before he could reply, she was already shuffling away. Oh well, he was sure it was fine.

After breakfast, David gave the campers some time off. The sun was ridiculously hot and there wasn't much of camp left. The thought made David sad, as it did every year. Once camp was over for the year David had to leave, return to his home and wait anxiously until the next summer. And he rarely saw the kids again the second year around. It made him unhappy to think about, so he didn't. Instead, David pulled out his phone and texted his favorite guy!

'Hey Daniel! How are you?'

'David! Hey! I'm doing just fine. In fact, I have a question to ask you!'

David's eyebrows raised, and he tilted his head to the side. oh?

'Really? Well go right on ahead! what's your question?'

'Do you think that the three of us, you me and max, could maybe go into town together?"

'I'd love that! But how would we do it? I still have a camp to run, after all!'

'Well that's true, but you can take Saturday off can't you? Just put Gwen in charge! come on, it'll be fun! and I'm sure Max will appreciate it.'

Oh that sly fox! David only hesitated a moment before responding. What could it hurt? It was just a short day trip after all!

'mmm okay. I'll do it. this Saturday then?'

'Yep! I'll see you then Davey, bye bye <3'

David's heart fluttered, and he held the phone close to his chest for a moment. Gosh, even the simple things Daniel did could make his cheeks red. He really had it bad. Who could blame him? Daniel was just so smooth and charming! The redhead stuffed his phone in his pocket, mood already significantly better than before. Talking to a loved one was always good for him, he reminded himself. Now back to as chipper as ever, David spun on his heels and marched into the counselors cabin to talk to Gwen.

It took a little (a lot) of convincing, but she eventually agreed to let David have Saturday off if it meant he would bring her some fresh coffee from down and a handful of magazines. Gwen wasn't hard to bribe, it seemed. David entertained the idea of going out and telling Max now, but decided to keep it a surprise. This way he wouldn't also accidentally tell the other kids, and then subsequently make them jealous. He'd seen how brutal the campers could be, and wanted to avoid any more unnecessary violence. David still shuddered to remember the bus that had hit him.

Daniel leaned back in his chair, lazily twirling his knife. He could feel the blood still soaking his shirt, and knew it would be a bitch to clean. How unfortunate. However, sacrifices were necessary to keep the faith. He could deal with a few stains. White clothes bleached easily enough anyway. The blonde let out a sigh and got up. David was offline anyway, so there was no need to keep sitting around. Absentmindedly Daniel glanced at the corpse on the floor. The woman's body was bare, and mutilated beyond recognition. She had put up a decent fight, he had to admit. But it didn't matter in the end. He'd done what was needed to please his god.

Daniel methodically cut up the body, making sure to put the pieces into a paper bag. The creaky cabin door shut behind him as he walked towards the edge of the forest, already hearing the hungry growls. He tossed her towards the snarling, waiting a few minutes in between. Convenient to get rid of bodies, when there are wolves in the woods. Once the bag was empty, Daniel crumpled it up and threw it in the trash. He needed to head into town and buy some nice clothes, as well as get his knives sharpened. Big things were happening Saturday, he needed to be aptly prepared. Max needed to trust him for that to work.

Normally this would be a very difficult task for Daniel, but now he wasn't worried. He'd seen how wild Max's eyes were. How he slaughtered a creature damn near twice his size with no remorse. It might take a little bit of convincing, But Daniel knew he could play into it. Seems Max and David weren't too different after all. The cultist slipped on a black jacket, chuckling.

It was almost too easy.