Too Many Eyes

David sat up in bed. It was late, far later than usual. How long had he been asleep? The redhead swung his legs over and got dressed, then headed into the bathroom to fix himself up.

Man he looked awful. With a groan he splashed water on his face and with it the bathroom floor. Fixing his hair, David took a moment to see how he looked.

Dark circles sat heavy under his eyes, and he was far too pale. His hair was halfway in order, but hardly. It looked like he hadn't slept in days. Which frankly wasn't all that far from the truth.

Usually his pills helped with the insomnia and anxiety, but the urge to kill was causing him to stay awake until the early hours of the morning, grabbing fistfuls of his hair and freaking out. The poor guy really didn't know what to do.

Then he steeled himself and straightened up. He ruffled his hair into place and forced a smile. It looked normal enough. It always did. With that, he left the cabin to start his day.

The plan was simple, they would begin with a play Preston had been working on, then move to a science demonstration by Neil, and would end on a magic show with Harrison. Then they would all have lunch and David would let them go off to their respective camps.

This also gave him the time to go to town with Daniel! Lately, he found he'd been wanting to spend increasingly more time with the blond. He knew why. Unfortunately for David, he had and was falling for Daniel, and hard. Honestly it kind of scared him. What if Daniel got bored of him?

No use panicking now. There were things to be done! He roused the campers and got them into the mess hall, still rubbing the sleep from their eyes. He decided to skip on breakfast, and made himself coffee instead. There was a deep exhaustion in his bones that he just couldn't explain.

Gwen raised an eyebrow as he sat down. "Jeez David, what's up with you? You look like shit, are you sick?" Before he could answer she put a hand on his forehead, but his temperature was totally normal. "No... so what's up?" David shrugged weakly. "I just had a bad night's sleep is all."

It was a pathetic excuse and the counselor knew it too. "Oh bullshit. What's wrong?" Gwen pressed, clearly worried for her friend. "Things have been... a little rough. The pills aren't working like they used to." That much was true, at least.

The brunette's eyes shone sympathetically. "Oh..." she murmured. "I'm sorry David. If you need, I can cover for you." "N-no! It's fine!" He said, waving a hand. "But thank you." He gave her a soft smile.

Max watched David drink his coffee with narrowed eyes. "That's weird. Since when does David drink coffee?" "D'no." Nikki replied, muffled through a mouthful of slop. "Gross Nikki, swallow first." Neil shuddered. "David looks like shit." The boy pointed out.

"Thanks Captain Obvious!" Max snarked, but looked more closely at David. The science kid was not wrong, David looked awful. Despite his self proclaimed hatred of the man, Max still felt a pang of worry. After all, this wasn't normal.

"I think I know why that's worrying." Nikki mumbled, uncharacteristically soft. "Well spit it out!" Max shot back. "He looks alot like you. The dark circles, the messy hair, and the dull eyes." The camper stared at her. "I don't know whether to be offended or impressed that you noticed that."

"I'd say both." Neil said. The trio watched David for a while longer. Well, Max watched David. The other two lost interest. But Max was freaking out! What could possibly be wrong?

David hunched over his coffee. Though rationally he knew that Gwen was buried in a magazine, and all the other kids were more focused on each other, his anxiety told him they were all staring. 'They know what you did.' It hissed at him, tantalizing and cruel.

They were looking. He knew it! Over their trays and books, past eachother's heads. All those eyes were on him! They knew. Oh god oh god they knew.

All the eyes were on him. They were staring at him! He couldn't take it! David grabbed his hair and took deep breaths. Now now, that wasn't true. Right? As if to prove this to himself, David looked around the mess hall. His eyes met Max's. The boy looked away guiltly and David had to fight the rising panic.

Again he scanned the whole room. Nobody was looking at him, nobody. See? Everything was fine, he was worried over nothing! David let out a sigh of relief and got up.

The kids finished their food and tossed the disposable trays away, then were reluctantly lead out by an enthusiastic David and bored Gwen. All David had to do was stick to the plan and the day would go smooth as butter!

Though as soon as the day got started, David zoned out. Everything was just going through the motions with no real feeling to them. None at all. As soon as he could get away, a wave of relief washed over him.

Strange, he never felt happy to get away from camp. But the feeling of those kids staring. All those eyes on him... he shuddered. Then he remembered he'd be going to town with Daniel, and his mood considerably brightened. It was a good escape to get out of his own head for a while.

He stood in his cabin and adjusted his clothes. Today he'd decided to go for a little change! A plaid shirt, black t-shirt, blue jeans, and his usual boots made up the outfit. For a moment he hesitated, then put on the red beanie that Gwen had given him once when she didn't want it.

David wasn't one to say this often, but he looked cute! A little grin graced the man's face as he headed out, walking out of the camp. He couldn't help but grin wider as he saw Daniel.

The blond was in a long sleeved white shirt, open to reveal a dark grey tank top underneath. And were those black jeans? Was he trying to kill David?! "You look fantastic Daniel!" Said the redhead excitedly, a tiny bit pink in the face.

"Why thank you David. You look handsome yourself!" Daniel replied, smiling wide. Thought it didn't pass David by that he seemed to be blushing, and his eyes kept glancing up and down the counselor. Hmmm...

Deciding not to mention it yet, David simply said a "thank you!" And got into the car. As they drove, David felt all the urges fade away. Well, not all. But all the murderous ones. He was ready to have a great time with Daniel!

Although he wondered...

What was up with that missing person poster on the dashboard of Daniel's car?

(Woza I finally finished this!! It took for-fucking-ever but here ya go! Fair warning, next chapter miiiight have some smut. I'm also considering bringing in Robin's boyfriend Doe to create some tensions for Daniel. If you need some Danvid content in between this fic, I'm also writing the story "blackened Hands" which can be found here! It's got Demons ;;;))) see y'all in the next chapter! -Cardboardghost)