Journalist Jerk Part 1

Stepping into what remains of the ARC is probably the last thing I want to do right now but it has already been a week and a half since the accident and it's time for me to go back to work.

With the pain medication I was prescribed by the doctor as well as the increasingly visual nightmares that have kept me awake all week working together I managed to sleep in and now I am about two and a half hours late for work but I can't bring myself to be worried since I would much rather stay at home than take a single step into the place that once gave me so much happiness and fulfilment.

Rushing to the front gate I show my badge to the man there before running to the front of the building. I stop in my tracks as memories flash through my mind.

"Nick!"

"It's on you now"

"I love you."

The flashes of different parts of that day roll over me like waves, making me wince at every new one, feeling like they are physically forcing themselves excruciatingly through my veins and into my heart. Refusing to let the tears in my eyes drop, I swiftly wipe them away before anyone notices and take a sharp breath as I scan my pass.

Stepping through the doors, it feels like the wind is knocked out of me as I stare at the taped off rooms that were badly affected by the explosion. Picking up my pace, I keep my eyes downward, forcing myself not to look as I walk past the room I was in with Nick before he-

Shaking my head, I enter the hub to find that the damage wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and let out a sigh of relief. This place really must have a strong foundation. Looking above, I see James with Jenny, Abby and Connor in his office. I frown at this, but even as they leave, I can't bring myself to question them; already too exhausted to care. When she sees me, Jenny comes towards me with a gentle smile. "Where've you been?" She asks but doesn't seem annoyed, more concerned than anything.

I sigh, awkwardly rubbing the back of my neck, "sorry, I kind of slept in. But I'll make up the time. I'll stay behind toni-"

"Don't be silly. We all know that what you're going through with what happened to Nick is more than rough and if anyone has a problem with it, then I'll sort it. Okay? Just go at your own pace." She talks to me softly, almost motherly as she strokes my upper arm, ignoring how I visibly flinch at the mention of Nick. My frown deepens as I watch her own sorrow come through. "Are you okay? I know how close you were with him." She quickly covers her emotions up with a smile and nods at me, trying to hide her obvious pain. "I'm fine. Come on then! I'm sure the animal care unit could do with some maintenance. And I heard from a little bird that they will be allowing you another lab for botanical uses." The thought makes me slightly excited even though I can't seem to bring the emotion to my face.

I nod following along behind her as she walks me to my unit. I was just about prepared to enter before the all too familliar alarm for an anomaly goes off. Sighing, as my hand flattens gratefully against the door of the unit, I spin on my heel and jog back to the hub with Jenny by my side.

"Is it the same place?" Jenny asks Connor as we enter. I haven't talked to him nor Abby in a couple days, making me feel kind of uncomfortable standing in front of him now. I can't help but wonder where she went since she was here before but isn't now. "No. No, this is a new one." I cock an eyebrow, wondering what they mean by 'a new one.' But don't question it beyond theorising the machine has detected more than one anomaly today. "Okay, let's get going then."

"Where's Abby?" I ask, speaking up for the first time as my frown deepens. "She said she had to meet someone." I nod in acceptance, but Connor doesn't seem too sure.