Chapter 9

"How could you!"

When Jen was completely out of view, it felt like a big bucket of cold water got poured on my head and I could finally avert my eyes away. I was so shocked that it was hard for me to get rid of the deer in head lights look. When I started to process what happened I started to feel the arms around me get tighter. He was trying to keep me in place. I was trapped in the arms of the guy who made those marks appear on Jen's skin. The worst part was I was letting him hold me. I was letting the guy who caused Jen harm, the guy who made her cry.

Why would he do that to her? More importantly, why did he do it?

"What do you mean? She deserved everything that she got!" He started to take deep breaths trying to calm his self down. He even tried to sniff my neck again, but when his nose started to move down I pushed away.

I couldn't stay near him when I knew the more time I stayed talking with him, the farther away Jen would be. Talking to Trent would not get me anywhere; he probably wouldn't answer any of my questions anyways. Also I felt that Jen should be the one to explain. And as much as I wanted to know why she was treated like that or even how she got here, I wanted to comfort her.

I only knew her for a short time, but I already felt like she was my friend. We already had things in common. Both of us got hurt by the monster that wore the crown, and both of us are trapped.

I ran around the corner I saw her go and got stuck in an intersection. I didn't know what way to go so I randomly chose the left one and continued in that direction. I didn't get far before I ran into Tent's chest as I felt the tingles everywhere we touched. My head was up when I was running, but with vampire speed he was in front of me in the blink of an eye.

"Where do you think you are going?" He stood in his same spot not moving with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I'm trying to find my friend." I took a step to the side to get around him, but he just reflected my actions.

"And who may your friend be?" He asked.

Did he seriously not know that I ran in the direction the girl he just hit went? Clearly I was talking about Jen.

"I don't know, Kally," I replied sarcastically.

"Really?" He wore a hopeful expression on his face which got me the tiniest bit confused.

"No! I'm talking about Jen." I rolled my eyes, and this time when I tried to go around him I succeeded. I only got to take two steps before he was back in front of me.

"Who is Jen?"

I looked between both his eyes to see if he was being sarcastic, there wasn't even a tilt upwards of the lips. He looked generally curious about who I was talking about. I didn't know if she didn't tell him, or he never asked, but I would just tell him anyways. It might get a good reaction out of him.

"The girl you just beat." It sounded harsh, but that's what I would call it: A beating. I don't think it be classified as a shove. A shove couldn't make that bad of an outcome, no matter how hard you pushed.

He seemed to think about it, but he finally got it.

"I will not allow you to talk to her! It was a bad idea to let her be your maid. I knew I should have just locked her up with the rest of her family. They should all suffer together, but I need her alive." He mumbled the last part, but I still heard him.

The rest of her family is locked up!

And why does he need her alive. There must be a reason for it. The prince doesn't just hold a whole family hostage for no reason. It's because they didn't want to have useless filth hogging up their dungeons. It was easier just to kill and get it over with. At least that's what I assume after how many times I have seen a vampire kill someone. Vampires never gave the slightest hesitation before sticking their fang in their prey. Usually killing them without a care, and leaving the dead body to rot.