Detention

Chapter 1

Hermione slammed her school bag down on the floor and sat behind a desk at the front of the classroom. Ready for detention. She knew this was a complete waste of her time. The girl had done nothing wrong! Sometimes she acted more like an adult than half of the teachers at Hogwarts. Well at least that's what she thought.

So what she shouted out in lesson and pleaded for Professor Moody to stop demonstrating the Cruciatus Curse. She was sure that the unforgivable curses where illegal to be taught to school children anyways. Her only worry at that moment was Neville and how the curse affected him.

She could see him getting more and more aggravated, with his eyes clamp shut and hands clenched into fists gradually turning white. Hermione witnessed a horrified look upon his face and screamed out. Before she knew it, a detention slip was in her hand and she couldn't have felt more ashamed of herself at that moment. Hermione had never got detention in her life!

Although for now she was stuck in the deserted classroom waiting for Professor Moody and regretting her outburst. She sat quietly for the next 10 minutes reading a ratty old book from the library until he showed, but there wasn't a soul insight.

With each word she glanced over, the angrier she was getting. What kind of teacher is late for a stupid time wasting deten-

At that moment her thoughts where disturbed, as the door to the classroom slammed shut. Hermione jumped losing grip of her book. The hardback novel fell to the ground with a thud. She reached down to pick it up. At that moment a familiar dark figure floated by her. She tried to raise her vision, but was interrupted by the desk as she whacked her head painfully.

"Shit" Hermione breathed, caressing her head and carefully repositioned herself upright once more.

Her eyes glanced up slowly and connected with icy black orbs staring down at her. Shivers crept upon her spine and the hairs on her arms rose in fear. It was Snape, lurking over her form like a bat.

"You dare to curse in front of me again Miss Granger and you'll have more than just a 2-hour detention." Professor Snape sneered at the girl before him.

Hermione sat quietly, glaring up at him with her eyes narrow and hands gripping the sides of the chair.

"Gather your things. Follow me." Snape was always one for small talk, even in class. You could never get more than a decent conversation out of him.

Hermione did as she was told. They barely walked side by side as Hermione jogged every now and then just to keep up with her professor's large strides. She was confused to where they were going and why Professor Moody wasn't taking the detention.

"Excuse me sir, but where's Profes-" Hermione was cut short, which angered her even more.

"Your Professor finds himself occupied with other things at the present time, I'll be taking your detention" Snape replied entering into his own potions class.

He motioned for her to follow and she did so. Snape walked over to his desk to retrieve a small piece of parchment before re-joining his student once more. Hermione had taken a seat near to the front of the classroom, like she always did in his lessons.

Snape placed the small list of ingredients in front of her on the desk and started to explain what he wanted her to do.

"Now this is a very advanced potion that I would like you to brew for the hospital wing, it can be very tricky to produce if you don't concentrate" Snape warned.

"But sir, are you sure I'm the right person to brew this? I mean it is very advanced after all and I'm nowhere near up to that stage of learning" Hermione hesitated staring at the parchment in her hands.