Heal Me

Chapter 8

2 months later and Hermione was confidently prepared for her OWLs. Maybe the time she spent away from Severus wasn't that bad or was it? Her heart ached every moment she was away from him. She missed his soft kisses and protective embraces. The way they would read together in front of the fire and how much he had grown comfortable around her, as she gradually melted his heart.

As well as preparing for her exams, she needed time to think. Think about where her and Severus' relationship was heading and will they eventually be able to live their lives as a normal couple. It was difficult during the circumstances. If they were open about their relationship, she often wondered how would people react. She didn't see him like everyone else. He was often misunderstood and that people shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Although Hermione felt guilty at this thought, as she too considered him to be a hard faced nasty old git.

The thought brushed over her as she noticed a dark figure lingering from across the library watching her write. Hermione knew it was Severus, there was no point in him hiding as he wasn't exactly discreet. She had noticed for the past few weeks that he would be hovering around the library, the exact time she showed up every day. He would soon vanish once his cover was blown.

Potions lessons wasn't that bad either. They both went on with the lessons as normal. Hermione stayed out of his way and Severus stayed out of hers. She knew it was unbearable for him to teach her and act like her teacher, when they both knew it was much more than that. Even those little glances from across the great hall, they shared was too luring. After their last encounter in his rooms, she just wanted to hold him and tell him that everything would be alright.

Throughout all this she also had Umbridge to worry about and Dumbledore's army, Harry had set up against Voldemort. With her time split between revising and attending private DADA lessons in the room of requirement's. Her busy schedule kept her mind from wondering back to Severus and their memories together.

Their next confrontation started in Umbridges office. The headmistress had sent for him to come to her at once. As Severus entered the room, he clasped eyes on a terrified Hermione. His blood began to boil, as he witnessed one of his Slytherin boys grip the collar of her shirt bitterly.

Hermione shot a plead for help in Severus' direction. Before he began his conversation with Umbridge. Their conversation didn't last long and as he departed with a last glance at her before leaving. She can't believe he just left her there to get tortured by this evil gargoyle. Deep down she knew that there was nothing he could do. Umbridge was now the headmistress and overpowered him in every way possible.

It wasn't until early hours in the morning that she arrived back at Hogwarts from the department of mysteries. Her adrenaline was still running high and knew she wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. After what she had just witnessed with the death eaters and Voldemort. Hermione just needed comfort.

The sun hadn't risen yet. Without a second thought Hermione wrapped her cloak around her and exited the common room. She wanted to see him, feel him. He was her comfort. She softly knocked on his dungeon door and waited for his response. She wasn't even sure that he was still awake.

When the door opened, Severus had a troubled look on his face. As he had seen a ghost. "Hermione..."

Severus pulled her inside and closed the door "What are you doing here at this time of the night? Someone could have caught you!"

"I know, I'm sorry" She couldn't speak, all this was too much for her. They stood there awkwardly staring at each other, until he broke the silence.

"I missed you." Severus announced looking down at his feet.

She couldn't deny her feelings anymore. A life without him was a nightmare, it was a huge mistake taking time away from each other. "Severus, I missed you too. Please forgive me, it was so foolish of me to even think that months would be bearable without you. I can't think. I can't sleep. You are a part of my life now and I'm so terribly sorry"

Severus wrapped his arms around her and embraced her warmly. He kissed her forehead, then her cheek. Whispering comforting words to her. "You're my little know it all, I will always forgive you."

When his hands touched hers her froze, as if he had been struck by lightning. He pushed her sleeves up in order to take a closer look and revealed red marks and scars carved on both of her arms. "Umbridge..."

His anger was written all over his face. She tried to calm him down. "Severus relax, it's nothing." But who was she kidding? The proof was all there.

Hermione suddenly collapsed in his arms and he held her as if he was holding the most fragile piece of treasure in the world. "We'll take revenge my love, I promise you. That bitch will pay."

He kissed her tenderly and then placed her in his armchair. He walked out of sight and into his personal potions storeroom. After several minutes he found a healing potion and offered it to her. "We have to keep a low profile. I know it hurts, I know it will be hard. But we can do this, you can do this."

Hermione swallowed the potion and her red marks gradually vanished. Although her emotional scarring was still there. They didn't care what time it was. All's that mattered was that they were both together again.

A week had past and Hermione had just left the great hall from the final feast of the year. She went in search for Severus, as she noticed he had slipped away in the middle of dinner. Hermione's first guess was that he was in the dungeons; either in the potions class or in his private room. But he was nowhere to be seen. She racked her brain curious to where he was and then it hit her.

She knew where he was, it was practically one of their meeting places. Unexpectedly of course. As soon as Hermione reached the top step of the astronomy tower, her curiosity was eased. She found him observing the scenery before him, deep in his own thoughts and unaware of her presence.

Hermione didn't want to startle him, so she made herself known. "I thought I'd find you here." Hermione stood beside him.

"I just needed some time to clear my head." Severus greeted her with a soft kiss on her lips.

Hermione shifted nervously for a moment. "Is it something to do with us? Or another thing?"

"Something that's too early to dwell on." Severus' voice was low. They watched the Hogwarts grounds silently, until Hermione let out a giggle from her own thoughts.

"Something on your mind, Granger?" Severus said turning towards her with a raised eyebrow.

"For a year now, I've been sat in your potions lab calling you Professor Snape. Pretending that I don't know you. It's just so surreal." Hermione mirrored his actions and stood in front of him.

Severus grabbed her hand to pull her close. "I know it's been hard and that we've had to keep our feelings in check for so long."

Hermione cupped his cheek with her hand, stepping towards him. "How am I going to survive the whole summer without you..."

"You? What about me?" Severus playfully overreacted.

Hermione giggled as his reaction.

Severus arose his hand to wipe his eyes in despair. "God listen to me... This is your fault Granger. You've evilly softened my ways."

Hermione smiled and pulled herself closer his form. "And what about your heart?" She looked up at him deviously.

"Maybe..." Severus said, capturing her lips once again.

They parted soon after their tender kiss. Hermione walked back to the Gryffindor common room, as Severus departed to the dungeons. They gave one last look before separating for the summer again.