Horrors of the Past

Chapter 4

It was a month into the summer holidays and Hermione was enjoying every bit of it. She cherished every moment with her parents. As she lived away at Hogwarts all year and missed them dearly.

She never once mentioned to them about her new blossomed affair with the potions master. As it wasn't a conversation she looked forward to having with anyone never mind them.

Hermione had been in contact with Harry and even Ron over the past few weeks. But there was no sign of a letter from Severus. She began to get worried, with each passing day. Did he forget about her? It had only been a month.

Her thoughts were broken, as a door slammed down stairs. Hermione flinched at the sound and felt the floor shake beneath her feet. She sat at the desk in her room, in the middle of writing Harry's birthday card.

Hermione was used to the sound of slammed doors and her parents arguing, as she hid in her room. They had been like this since the first moment she remembered as a young girl. Every time it occurred, she felt lonely and scared. They only tried to get along for her sake.

The worse that had happened was when her dad walked out a couple of years back, and leaving her and her mum defending for themselves for a week, until he returned. However, all's she had to put up with was the arguments and loud noises of things being thrown. It wasn't an abusive household, but it wasn't a nurturing one either. Hermione had been practically raising herself since she was 10.

She couldn't take any more of it. She tried reading one of her books, nothing. Breathing in and out slowly to calm her pain attack, that didn't work. The way she written with her quill always found a way to sooth her.

Hermione picked up her red feathered quill and dripped it into the black ink. She took a piece of plain parchment from her draw and begin to write.

Once she was satisfied with her letter. Hermione opened the window and set her owl free with the letter tied to its claw.

She watched the bird fly off into the night. She closed her window and got ready for bed.

The rain bounced off the panes of glass, whilst the fire crackled in the silent living room. Severus sat in an old worn-out armchair by the heat, calmly reading one of his favourite novels. Taking a sip of his fire whiskey from time to time.

He was interrupted by a repeat tapping on the window. The man hated to be bothered, especially when he was wrapped up in a good book. Anyways, who would be sending him an owl at this time of night.

Severus placed his book down on the coffee table beside him and rose from his seat. He opened the window slightly letting the bird in for a moment whilst he retrieved the envelope.

As the bird safely flew away, he shut the window and returned to his seat in front of the fire.

The envelope was ripped immediately. Before he started to read, he glanced down and saw the initials signed at the bottom of the parchment. HG

Dear Severus,

I hope your time away from Hogwarts is treating you well. As for me? Not so much. Whenever I'm away from Hogwarts. I feel more alone than ever. I guess that's the privilege of being Muggleborn; you feel more disconnected for your abilities. Living under the roof of your parents strained marriage, I guess doesn't help either. But I have my books to aid me through it. Please don't take this into consideration. This letter just seemed to give me comfort. Letting my thoughts be heard somehow. I trust that you will keep to your word and reply back.

HG x

Severus placed the letter down on the chair arm. Revisiting his thoughts for a moment. He wasn't aware of Hermione's home situation being so troubled. Although it reminded him of the way he grew up, and the ways he dealt with his abusive childhood in his own way.

Flashback

It was the summer of 1973. Severus had arrived back home from Hogwarts at least a week ago. He begged Professor Dibbett to change his mind about letting him stay at school for the summer. But it simply couldn't be arranged.

Severus couldn't help but despise his family home back at Spinners End. The entire visit was hell. The moment he stepped off the Hogwarts Express, his heart pounded vigorously against his chest. Unaware of what was in store for him this summer? Another beer bottle thrown at his head from across the room by his alcoholic father? Or maybe he could watch as his beloved Mother would wither away from the lack of food in the house.

His childhood was a mess. Every moment was spent in fear and hatred towards his father. Tobias was a muggle. He hated wizards and classed them as freaks. So Severus wasn't far from a beating every time he mentioned the wizarding world. Nothing could compare to the hatred he gained for the man on this specific night. As he witnessed the most horrific attack on his mother, he had ever observed.

The night was filled with misery and anguish. Severus could still vision the night clearly within his mind.

He still felt the tightness of how he gripped his legs into his chest. Cowardly huddled in the corner of the dim lit living area. How the heat from his face beamed as he screamed out his mother's pain. Hearing his father's foot strike the women's lifeless body repeatedly. As the two figures beyond him, where clearly silhouetted from the street lights outside. Severus could feel Tobias' flaring temper and a shudder rippled down his spine. He's glaze, however, was on his father's hands. Watching the tendons flex across his white knuckles as his fist tightened. A noticeable vein started to bulged on his temple. Tobias inspected the aftermath of his actions. Whilst Severus sobbed helplessly, at the sight of thick blood surrounding his mother's form.

End of Flashback

The sickening memory brought tears to Severus' eyes. That was a scene he never wanted to relive again. He brushed the thought out of his mind and downed the remains of his fire whiskey.

Severus rose from his chair once more, with the letter in hand and placed himself at his desk. A piece of plain parchment was already placed waiting for him. He gripped hold of his classic black feathered quill and dipped it into his bottled ink.

As his quill connected with the paper. His hand couldn't seem to stop, as he scribbled vigorously. Letting his thoughts run free and his harsh tongue get the better of him.

Hermione was awoken by the rays of sunlight that casted through the cut in her curtains. Once she regained her surroundings of her own bedroom. She shot up from her bed and rushed over to her owl that perched patiently outside her closed window.

The teenager excitedly flung the window ajar, greeting the animal and ripped her letter from Severus open within seconds. But her excitement vanished within seconds, as her eyes pierced over his writing.

Miss Granger,

From the first years as your teacher I thought you were different from all the dunderheads, more mature and serious. You never complained about nothing. Well, those thoughts came to an end since you sent me that whining letter of yours. Complaining about your family, poor you! Snap out of it, there's much worse around you, let me tell you that the nonsense you call trouble is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. Stop acting like a silly girl if you want others to take you seriously.

S.S

Hermione couldn't believe what she was reading. How could he be so critical? She truly thought she could trust him. Maybe retrieve the sympathy she was secretly hoping for. The witch instantly regretted even suggesting that they should write to each other. It only made her feel worse. Maybe this time apart didn't help the situation. She could really see his true colours now. She never even considered writing back to him. He didn't deserve it.