Slow Dance

Chapter 2

The next morning Hermione find herself sitting in the great hall for breakfast with Ron, Harry and Ginny. Hermione was too busy reading the newspaper to eat. Although her mind was elsewhere.

Harry and Ron's main discussion was the Yule Ball. The guys tried to figure out who was there suitable date for the event but nearly every girl was taken. Ginny was sat quietly next to Ron giving the duo suggestions every now and then.

Hermione read the same line four times. Cursing Ron for being so whinny this morning. Her eyes happen to gaze up onto the teachers table and found Severus staring right back at her. How long had he been watching her?

Her heart seemed to skip a beat. She clenched her newspaper harder and shot down his gaze. Hiding her head behind the large newspaper. The scene was now pierced in her mind as a clear memory. She smiled to herself at the thought of his deep black eyes and sexy slender face. She blushed noticeably at the image in her mind.

She was brought back to reality by Harry nudging her. Indicating that they were leaving for first lesson. Hermione swiftly packed her things up. She took one little glance at where Severus was sitting, but he had disappeared.

The next time their plans had collided unknowingly was her free study lesson in the great hall. The 4th, 5th and 6th years all sat scattered around the hall working on late assignments or catching up on their homework in general. Snape was the only teacher supervising this study.

To her annoyance, he continued lurking around her like a bad smell that wouldn't disappear. She wanted him too though. It made it harder for her to concentrate. Although Ron and Harry didn't help the situation. As every time they spoke, Snape was there whacking them on the heads with a book to shut them up.

Ron and Harrys conversation was now directed at her. What had she done wrong to deserve the centre of attention right now.

"Why don't you come with one of us Hermione" Ron asked proudly like he had no shame for suggesting her as a last resort.

Hermione rolled her eyes. Continuing to write on the parchment. Ignoring Ron like she usually did.

"If a girl shows up alone, that would just look pretty sad. Won't it?" Ron mocked her.

"What's up Ron? All the good looking ones taken? I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere who'll have you! And believe it or not someone asked me!" Hermione finally broke with anger.

The Gryffindor rose from her seat with her parchment in hand and marched over to Severus. With whom had already witnessed the argument from a couple of feet away. Hermione handed him her work to read.

Once he grabbed the parchment, his hand layered over hers gripping it firmly. She looked up at him in shock. He gave a stern look, wanting to tell her non verbally that he was not happy with her.

Snape snatched the book away from her hastily and she strode away back to her friends.

"And I said yes!" Hermione grabbed her bag and looked over her shoulder. She caught her professors eye and threw him nasty look, before storming out of the great hall.

Why was he so nasty to her? He was so pleasant yesterday at the astronomy tower. What changed so suddenly? Was it jealously over her being asked to the Yule ball and not giving him a second thought? Although how could she, he was a teacher and she was a student.

It was enough that Ron was on her back, now Severus was.

A week had past and it was finally Christmas Day. The Yule Ball had arrived. She left the boys early to get ready for the night.