A Christmas Surprise

Chapter 26 – A Christmas Surprise.

Throughout the next few weeks' snow started to fall and they now entered the chilly month of December. Hermione recovered back to her normal self, although Severus demanded that she still keep on top of her rest and eating.

With Hermione still out of work. Severus accepted extra Potion orders from local Infirmaries, to keep on top of the rent. He was only contempt before about looking after himself, with the rent and food. But now he had Hermione to look after and support.

His small work space was set up in the basement of his house. Hermione knew it was his place to clear his head and work on the thing he loves in a quiet and chilled environment. The witch wanted to help out the best way she could. So she was ordered to bottle and package the potions up.

When she was in Severus' good books, he let her use his equipment, but kept a close eye on her. He loved her, but he was still reluctant about her being anywhere near the basement whilst he worked.

She wanted to see if her version of the Wolfsbane potion, she suggested to him throughout her queries on his book, would in fact work. Beforehand Hermione gathered up the research herself and made sure all the data was intact, before she brewed and experimented.

Their orders doubled as it neared to Christmas and everyone wanted extra stock for the holidays. Hermione found the chance to convince Severus, to let her start brewing with him. He accepted on the rule that she be careful. But she just reminded him that she wasn't his student anymore. That caused some inappropriate images to flash through his mind, of her as a fully grown woman back in her school uniform, looking as sexy as ever-

"Severus!" Hermione distracted his thoughts as she pushed him away from his work bench and drown his robes in water. He was too busy daydreaming to think that he caught himself on fire, without realising it.

"And you're the one worried about me?" Hermione laughed, charming his robes to dry instantly.

"Sorry. I just zoned out for a moment." He blushed at his past thoughts, regaining himself as he continued to brew.

"I guess you didn't hear a single word I said?" Hermione stood with her hands on her hips.

Severus kissed her on the forehead as he passed her to grab a jar of Boomslang skin. To show his apology for him being so ignorant.

"I have been exchanging letters with Minerva recently and she wants me to start teaching at Hogwarts next September." Hermione explained tying a bow in strong about the brown packaging.

Severus was more surprised than happy. "Really? What position?"

"Well that's what I wanted to talk to you about... She's asked me to take over Professor Slughorn." Hermione captured his eyes finally.

"She wants you to teach potions?" Severus didn't seem at all pleased, more confused.

"You don't have to say it like that."

"I'm happy for you, of course I am. It's just, it's a stressful position. Your anxiety will be hitting the roof, as the sight of every student at risk when brewing. Not the fact that-" Severus' rant stopped as her lips drove to his.

"Stop worrying. I'll be fine." Hermione was now in his arms.

Severus continued to lecture her about how dull teaching is. She is more than capable of teaching the subject and handling the students, but he would never tell her that. Hermione explained after her meeting with Minerva at the end of the week. That the head mistress would like her to watch over Slughorn's potion classes, once the students returned for the new term after Christmas break. This would help the student become familiar with her presence and give Hermione a chance to learn from the best.