08- Carter Vanroy

Carter was standing in the basement of Henry Stone's house, which also happened to be the room that the junior practically lived in. It was a huge space, and in it, Henry had the cement walls decked with dozens of movie posters, most of which advertised Star Wars, but some were for old, eighties slasher films and various anime's whose titles Carter could not read fore they were written in another language. A large king sized bed was pushed up against the back of one of the walls, and directly across from the television, and right next to that was a wall length mirror that Emerson always said was there for Henry to see different angles when he was having sex, but Henry himself had never admitted to this so Carter didn't really believe it.

At the moment, Carter was standing in front of this mirror, glaring at his reflection as he pulled on his hair, which for some reason had decided to curl in the worst possible way. Emerson was sitting on the end of Henry's bed, laughing at Carter's obvious struggles. Even though it was Henry's house, he wasn't actually in it at the moment. This happened a lot, since it was always Henry who got sent out to get food, though Carter wouldn't be eating it with them this time.

"Maybe she'll like your crazy sex hair, man," Emerson offered. "I mean, you really shouldn't rule this out. It's very possible".

"How is it possible," Carter began, giving up on his hair and crossing the room to drop down onto Henry's bed, "that you are literally never helpful. Not just today. I mean, at all times. In your entire life. You've never been helpful in your entire life before". Emerson just laughed as if Carter was making a joke, which he most definitely was not. "Emerson, I have a date with the most perfect girl in the world, and my hair looks like this. If you were me, you'd be freaking out to".

"I would not," Emerson claimed, pushing his hand through his blonde hair and smiling charmingly. "I'm never nervous for dates. Women just naturally love me".

"Oh shut up," Carter snapped, about to say a hell of a lot more but his phone rang, interrupting his would-be foul words. He looked at the screen for a moment and frowned.

"Who is it?"

"Jordan". Normally Carter would answer eagerly, but today wasn't one of those days. He still had yet to tell his best friend about his date with Caroline, and he couldn't figure out why. Carter had been trying to convince himself it was because of that one time that Jordan had told him that Caroline wasn't right for him, but he knew that wasn't it.

The real reason was as unknown to Carter as whom Jordan had most recently taken to bed, but he didn't spend much time wondering why he couldn't tell Jordan about his date. It was almost like the real answer scared it so he was choosing not to think of it.

"Will pick up, dumbass?," Emerson demanded. "Your ringtone is annoying".

Carter felt like arguing with the junior (he really liked his ringtone and had actually paid for it), but instead he answered the phone. "Hey," He breathed into the line and the other boy spoke immediately in his ear.

"Are you okay? You didn't pick up right away". Carter's mind immediately went back to him and Jordan lying in bed as Jordan asked him what was going to become of them if they ever got separated, but he shook this thought off. Just because Jordan freaked out when he didn't answer the phone didn't mean they would fall apart. Also, they weren't going to be parted so what did it matter anyway.

"I'm fine, Jordan," Carter said, and this was mostly true, though he was still upset with his hair. "What's up? Why'd you call?"

They younger scoffed on the other end of the line. "Since when have I ever needed to have a reason to call you?"

"Jordan". Carter was supposed to be leaving soon to go get Caroline, and he wanted one more shot at his hair before he did so.

"Yeah, yeah. Alright, so, I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight."