Chapter 1:

I’d  known  her  for  as  long  as  I  could  remember.  She  was  the  first  girl  I  can  ever  say  I  had  a crush  on;  even  back  then  there  was  something  alluring  about  her   that  made  her  stand  out  from  the  crowd . We’d  always  been  sort  of  close  but  there  was  one  slight  problem -  she was  my  best  friends  sister,  and  besides  I doubted  a  girl  like  her  would  ever  want  to  date  someone  like  me. 

You  see,  I’ve  always  been  the  sort  of  guy who  chicks  see  as  a  friend  and  nothing  else;     friend   zoned.  But  it  wasn’t  that  I  was  like  the  Susan  Boyle  of  guys  or  anything,  but  more  I just  wasn’t  like other  guys  my  age.  At  seventeen  the  only  serious  relationship  I  can  say  I’ve  ever  had  was  with  my  dermatologist,  I  mean  Christine  and  me  had  been  on  first  name  basis  since  I  was  eleven  so  it  was  a  relief  when  my  acne-ridden  skin  decided  to  clear  up  about  a  year  or  so  ago.  While  other  teenage  guys  were  out  aimlessly  breaking  the  hearts  of  girls  who’s  names  they  wouldn’t   even   remember ,  I  was  content  with  being  their  shoulder  to  cry  on  because  that  was  all  I  could  hope  for.  Girls  had  never  really  given  me  much  attention  throughout  my  pubesant  pre-teen  state  and  now  most  of  the  girls  here,  like  the  guys,  only  appeared  to  be  after  one  thing,  sex. 

I  like  to  consider  myself  to  be  a  sort  of  hopeless  Romantic  figure  whose  heart  is  in  constant  turbulent  riot  with  what  society  appears  to  view  as  right  and  what I  sought  after.  While  many  guys  would  have  been  happy  with  a  quick  fling,  I  was  after  something  completely  different  and  a   whole  load  deeper.  It’s  like  Zac  Efron  said  in  that  one  movie,  “ sex  is  about  making  love,   and  that  means  being  in  love”,  wise  words  Zac,  wise  words.  I  needed  something  deeper, I  needed  something  deeper  than  the  average  horn-dog  teenage  boy;  I  needed  love  and  for  me  there  was  only   one  girl  who  could  fulfil  that  fantasy.

But  as  I  sat  in  the  crowded  cafeteria  at  East  Side  High,  I  saw  her  wonder  in  through  the  sea  of  people,  helplessly  trying  to  avoid  eye  contact  with , with  well  anyone  for  that  matter.  Lily  Jones  had  never  been  the  sort  of  girl  who  would  flaunt  what  she  had  for  the  world  to  see,  despite  the  fact  that  she  was  at  least  a  high  eight  on  a  bad  day.   Lily  was  like  Megan  Fox  beautiful;  with  her  long  blonde  hair  seeping  down  her  back  in  an  almost  picturesque  manner,  shrouding  over  her  lushish  lips  and  beautiful  blue  eyes,  to  me  she  was  the definition  of  perfection.  She  was  two  school  years  younger  than  me  and  with  this  being  the  beginning  of  my  senior  year,  it  was  hard  to  tell  how  many  other  moments  with  her  I  would  have  with  her.  The  summer  months  had  been  kind  to  Lily  with  her  bronze  skin  soaking  up  the  sun’s  rays  and  making  her  irresistible  to  the  eye.  Unfortunately  it  wasn’t  meant  to  be  for  two  simple  reasons: 

1.        Lily  had  recently  gotten  herself  a  boyfriend, Max  Witten,  the  captain  of  the  school  football  team  and  with  his  reputation  it  wouldn’t  be  long  before  Lily’s  mind  became  the  next  victim  to  his  corruption,  ego  and  problems.  He  was  the  guy  who  all the  girls  wanted  to  be  with  and  word  on  the  street  had  it  that  he  already  had  most  of  them,  if  you  get  my  drift.  He  wasn’t  right  for  Lily,  I  could  tell that  right  off  the  bat,  and  no  I  don’t  say  that  out  of  envy ,  its  because  I’ve  known  Lily  from  we  were  both  kids  and  I  knew  just  how  innocent  she  truly  was.  Yet  the  fact  I’d  known  Lily  for  so  long  lead  into  the  second  reason  why  I  could  never  be  with  her….