Chapter 7 [Unedited]:

We  arrived  at  the  shopping  mall  just  as  the  clouds  finally  unleashed  the  highly  anticipated  rain,  which  flooded  down  upon  the  window  of  the  car.  It  was  bouncing  from  the  pavement  as  Lily  and  I  made  a  mad  rush  towards  the  all  too  far  away  door  of  the  mall,  as  we  tried  to  take  refuge  under  the  shelter  of  our  jackets.  Sprinting  through  the  doors,  while  we  were  mostly  dry  thanks  to  the  jackets,  our  hair  had  gotten  soaked  and  was  now  sitting  in  a  manner  that  made  us  both  laugh.  Lily’s  straight  locks  had  begun  to  curl,  while  my  once  gelled  hair  now  looked  more  windswept  than  I  had  intended.  There  was  no  time  to  waste,  we  had  to  get  a  dress;  who  knows  where  you  find  them?
Fortunately  Lily  knew  straight  away  were  to  go  to  get  a  dress,  I  mean  while  she  may  not  have  been  your  typical  girly  girl,  when  it  came  to  clothes  shopping  she  was  just  like  every  other  -  obsessed. 
“Come  on,  get  a  move  on,  you  don’t  want  to  get  locked  in  now  do  you?” Lily  laughed,  taking  hold  of  my  arm  and  guiding  towards  a  store  where  she  assured  me  she  would  get  her  dress. 
“It’s  all  well  and  good  getting  a  dress  Lily,  but  can  I  have  my  arm  back?  It’s  kind  of  important…”  I  joked  faking  pain  in  my  wrist  which  Lily  had  now  dragged  from  one  end  of  the  shopping  mall  to  the  other  in  order  to  reach  her  desired  shop.
As  we  entered  the  store,  it  became  apparent  that  any  doubt  I  held  in  my  hand  about  Lily  not  getting  her  dress  here  was  stupid.  I  found  myself  surrounded  by  frills,  drapes,  tiaras  the  whole  package!  From  wedding  day  to  bar  mitzvah  this  place  seemed  to  have  a  dress  for  every  occasion.  There  were  big  dresses,  small  dresses,  thin  dresses  and  large  dresses;  all  dresses.  The  only  real  problem  which  became  apparent  to  me  was,  how  is  Lily  ever  going  to  be  able  to  choice  between  all  these  dresses?
“So  Lily,  any  ideas  about  the  type of  dress  that  you’re  looking  for  the  big  night?”  I  questioned,  wondering  if  even  Lily  herself  knew  what  she  was  looking  for.
“I’m  not  really  sure”  came  the  bombshell;  this  was  going  to  take  forever.  “But  I  don’t  want  anything  short  or  revealing,  you  know  I  need  to  show  some  modesty  kiddo”  She  joked,  although  I  had  thought  nothing  less  of  Lily  and  fully  expected  her  to  have  a  dress  which  reflected  her  personality.
“Well,  we  may  be  here  a  while”  I  said  sarcastically,  flopping  down  in  an  empty  antique  armchair  positioned  by  a  rack  of  dresses.  “You  can  go  look  around  and  I’ll  stay  here” I  joked,  winking  at  Lily  playfully.
“Oh  no  you  don’t,  you  aren’t  getting  out  of  it  that  easily,  now  get  up  and  come  help  me  look  for  a  dress”  she  smiled  back  at  me  with  those  beautiful  blue  puppy  dog  eyes  that  could  make  me  do  just  about  anything  she  wanted.  She  knew  she  had  me.
“But  I  don’t  even  know  what  I’m  looking  for”  I  protested,  knowing  all  too  well  that  my  efforts  to  dodge  dress  shopping  and  staying  in  this  store  one  second  more  than   we  needed  to  would  go  unnoticed.
“Well,  how  about  you  go  over  there,  I’ll  go  over  here,  you  can  pick  out  three  dresses,  I  can  pick  out  three  dresses  and  then  we  will  decide  on  a  favourite.  Deal?” 
“Deal!”
 Truth  of  the  matter  was  that  this  did  seem  to  have  the  potential  to  be  quite  fun  and  interesting  with  Lily  genuinely  giving  me  the  option  to  pick  her  dress  out  for  her.  While  I  wished  she  had  of  been  going  to  prom  with  me,  the  jealousy  within  subsided  as  I  became  focused  on  picking  Lily  out  the  best  dress  to  compliment  her  and  help  her  outshine  every  other  girl  at  prom,  in  a  way  which  I  knew  only  she  could.
I  went  to  work,  skimming  through  rack  after  rack  of  different  dresses  in  the  hope  of  being  able  to  find  that  stunning  dress  for  Lily.  In  the  end,  having  searched  for  what  seemed  like  forever,  I  ended  up  picking  out  a  light  purple  strapless  dress,  a  seductive  red  slim-fitting  dress  that  I  new  Lily  could  completely  pull  off,  and  a  dark  blue  dress  with  a  flowery  pattern  running  up  the  hem.  I  was  pleased  with  my  choices;  they  were  elegant  but  yet  modest -  just  what  Lily  had  been  wanting.  I  carried  the  dresses  towards  the  section  of  the  store  in  which  I  had  left  Lily,  to  be  greeted  by  a  mass  of  dresses,  stumbling  towards  me  seemingly  of  their  own  accord. 
“Lily?  Are  you  under  all  of  that  or  do  you  need  me  to  telephone  for  a  crane?”  I  joked  reaching  out  to  take  some  of  the  mountain  of  dresses  from  her.  Obviously  she  couldn’t  choose  just  three,  but  if  we  wanted  to  be  done  by  Friday  she  was  going  to  have  to.
“I’m  just  having  a  hard  time  deciding,  but  I  really  like  these  two  in  particular”  She  informed  me  while  gesturing  to  two  dresses  poking  out  from  the  middle  of  the  fabric  frenzy.  I  had  to  admit,  from  what  I  could  see  they  were  definitely  the  best  two  dresses  of  the  bunch.
“So  it’s  settled,  take  those  two  dresses  and  my  three  and  go  try  them  on”  I  told  her,  handing  her  the  combination  of  five  dresses  and  ushering  her,  in  protest,  towards  the  fitting  rooms  at  the  back  of  the  store.  Anyone  looking  on  would  have  thought  I  was  trying  to  kidnap  her  or  something  as  I  pushed  a  reluctant  Lily  away  from  her  pile  of  dresses. 
“Well  there’s  no  way  I’m  even  going  to  try  that  horrible  blue  dress  of  yours!”  She  announced,  nudging  me  playfully  in  the  arm  with  the  dress,  “Come  on  show  me  the  other  two”
With  that  I  unveiled  the  other  two  dresses  which  had  been  beneath  the  blue  one  and  her  eyes  lit  up,  like  diamond  filled  orbs  echoing  the  moons  beams.  She  was  literally  gleaming  with  excitement  as  she  stared  at  the  red  dress  on  top  of  the  pile. 
“That’s  the  one!”  She  exclaimed,  letting  out  a  girlish  giggle  while  wrapping  me  in  an  in creditably  tight  bear  hug. 
“Lily…” I  exhaled,  “I  kind  of  still  need  to  breath  to  drive  you  home  again”,  I  joked  as  she  let  go  of  her  firm  grip.  She  lifted  the  red  dress  off  the  pile  and  skipped  towards  the  changing  room  door.  I  had  no  idea  I  was  such  a  good  dress  picker! 
“Give  me  a  second”  Lily  called  as  the  curtain  was  pulled  behind  her.  More  than  a  second  later,  following  rustling  and  some  huffs  and  puffs  as  Lily  wrestled  with  the  dress  to  shimmy  her  way  inside,  the  curtain  was  finally  pulled  open  as  Lily  slowly  revealed  her  new  attire.
“Lily,  you  look…”
“Promise  me  you  will  be  honest  and  wont  laugh…”  She  said  nervously,  turning  around  to  give  me  a  twirl,  so  that  I  could  see  the  dress,  and  indeed  Lily  in  all  their  elegant  glory.
“You…You  look  stunning  Lily,  like  a  movie  star  on  the  red  carpet”   I  stuttered  struggling  to  find  the  right  words  to  even  comprehend  the  sheer  beauty  of  the  girl  standing  before  me.  I  mean,  I  had  always  known  that  Lily  was  beautiful  but  in  that  luscious  red  dress,  every  curve  was  fully  defined  in  a  way  I  had  never  before  seen,  but  yet  somehow,  Lily  still failed  to  realise  just  how  gorgeous  she  looked;  not  only  in  the  dress  but  all  the  time.  Why  would  Max  pass  up  this  opportunity?
“You  really  think  that?”  Lily  inquired  as  her  cheeks  began  to  glow  a  bright  red  while  she tilted  her  head  towards  the  ground  to  hide  her  embarrassment,  “Be  honest”.
“You  really  do  look  amazing  Lily,  I  wouldn’t  tell  you  that  if  I  didn’t  mean  it!”,  I  chuckled  as  I  struggled  to  keep  my  mouth  from  revealing  anymore  of  my  inner  most  feelings.  See  the  thing  is,  while  I  often  teased  Lily  about  how  good  she  looked  and  joked  around  about  it,  to  her  that’s  all  it  had  ever  been  was  joking  around,  never  before  had  I  given  her  any  reason  to  think  I  might  actually  be  serious  about  the  whole  thing.  Now   as  she  stood  in  her  red  dress,  she  seemed  to  realise  that  I  might  actually  be  telling  her  the  truth   as   she  gazed  at  herself  in  the  long  oval  mirror  outside  the  dressing  room.
“I  do  look  quite… good  if  I  do  say  so  myself!”  She  exclaimed,  almost  surprised  by  what  she  had  seen  in  the  mirror,  she  seemed  to  get  this  radiant  glow  about  her,  as  though  the  dress  was  a  second  skin,  unveiling  a  new  part  of  Lily  she  had  never  before  known,  the  part  of  beauty.  It  was  a  graceful  dress  to  match  her  personality.
“See,  didn’t  I  tell  you  I  could  pick  a  dress”  I  boasted  as  I  threw  Lily  one  of  my  reserved  smiles,  playfully  teasing  her  and  forcing  the  same  smile  to  cross  over  onto  her  face  too.
“Shut  up  Josh!”  With  that  she  turned  on  her  heels  back  into  the  dressing  room  only  to  reappear  a  few  minutes  later  after  yet  more  panting  and  pulling,  ready  to  check  out. “Let’s  get  the  dress!”