Chapter 2:

Chapter 2:

The  first  day  back  after  having  a  break   was  always  the  toughest,  and  with  Mr Andrews  (my  History  teacher)  giving  out  detentions  like  they  were  early  Christmas  presents,  I  was  glad  to  have  escaped  alive. One  day  of  school  was  enough  for  one  week,  that  was  the  advantage  of  having  a  school  who  seemed  to  find  joy  in  making  us  come  back  on  a  Friday,  as  though  it  was  some  kind  of  sadistic  punishment. 

Of  course  it  hadn’t  been  all  bad,  I  had  gotten  to  see  Lily  again  which  was  totally  the  highlight  of  my  day.  Soon  I  found  myself  driving  down  that  all  too  familiar  route  toward  the  Jones’  residence.  Just  one  quick  step  to  pick  up  Lucas  and  we  would  be  on  our  way  for  our  usual  Friday  night  pizza  party.  It  had  become  a  sort  of  tradition for  us,  that  each  Friday  night  after  a  draining  week  of  school  we  would  all  meet  at   the  Jones’  to  eat  pizza,  talk  about  girls,  and  most  importantly  play  video  games!

We  were  obsessed  with  them!  Yet  now  more  than  ever  before  my  mind  was  not  solely  focused  on  video  games,  but  instead  had  become  preoccupied  with  the  delicate  wit  and  charm  of  Lily  Jones;  something  had  changed.  I  was  fascinated  by  her  every  move,  she  was  my  enchantress,  and  due  to  that  I  no  longer  cared  the  same  for  silly  games,  she  was  all  I  cared  for.  Perhaps  it  had  become  time  to  put  away  boyish  things  and  mature  into  a  guy  capable  of  even  dreaming  of  being  with  Lily.

That  night  had  been  like  every  other  Friday  night  that  had  blurred  together  into  my  memory  and  was  now  an  unrecognisable  spiral of  pizza  and  video  games. Lucas  and  me  arrived  late  as  usual  to  be  greeted  by  the  smiling  face  of  James  opening  the  large  mahogany  door.  We  were  always  late,  it  was  like  an  ancient  rule  that  had  to  be  broken, and  besides,  Lucas  wasn’t  exactly  someone  who  stuck  to  schedules, he  never  had  been. That  smile  now  edged  on  the  face  of  James  was  one  which  we  had  come  to  expect  and  one  which  appeared  to  be  permanently  intact  since  he  had  started  dating  Amy.  You  know  that  picture  of  Usain  Bolt  crossing  the  finish  line to  claim  gold  at  the  London  Olympics,  with  smile  from  ear  to  ear?  That  was  James. He  was  the  happiest  I  could  ever  remember  seeing  him  and  that  was  saying  something.  James  was  usually  a  happy  go  lucky  sort  of  guy  and  with  his  dirty  fair  hair  and  piercing  blue  eyes,  the  girls  couldn’t  help  but  to  fall  for  him.  Amy  Pollard  was  the  same  age  as  Lily,  but  yet  the  two  couldn’t  be  any  more  different;  almost  like  polar  opposites.  While  Lily  appeared  modest  and  never  fussed  over  how  she  looked,  Amy  couldn’t  seem  to  get  enough  of  herself. Her  hair  always  looked  so  perfect  without  so  much  as  a  single  hair  out  of  shape  and  her  face  always,  to  me,  seemed  plastered  in  too  much  makeup  to  seem  natural,  but  she  made  James  happy  and  that’s  all  that  matters.   There  was  no  doubt  that  the  girl  was  pretty,  but  yet  I  never  quite  got  what  guys  seen  in  her  beyond  that.  But  yet  she  was  faithful  to  James  despite  the  fact  that  she  too  could  probably  have  anybody  in  the  school  that  she  wanted,  perhaps  because  she  knew  that  James  was  in  exactly  the  same  boat.

Opening  the  door  and  inviting  us  in,  we  were  greeted  by  that  familiar  aroma  of  the  Jones’ house,  soft  and  sweet  but  yet  there  was  an  elegance  about  it,  the  sort  of  smell  that  once  inhaled  could  never  be  forgotten. This  huge  house  had  always  struck  me  as  something  extraordinary  and  beyond  anything  I  had  ever  seen  before;  certainly  bigger  and  better  than my  family’s  humble  three  bedroom  box.