Chapter 8 [Unedited]

Authors note: Sorry for the late update guys, but exams are now finally over!! Hopefully you like this chapter, and be sure to comment, vote and follow for more updates to follow! - Jdot

The  next  week  seemed  to  fly  by  in  an  endless  swirl  of  school  and  homework,  mixed  in  with  a  lot  as  ‘prom-prep’.  Prom-prep,  by  James’  reckoning  seemed  to  purely  involve  fussing  over  getting  his  hair  cut  to  make  sure  it  sat  right,  and  informing  us  at  every  chance  he  had  that  he  was  bringing  ‘the  most  beautiful  girl  in  the  school  to  prom’.  I  technically  knew  that  wasn’t  true,  but  who  was  I  to  burst  his  bubble?  I,  on  the  other  hand,  was  a  lot  less  fussed  about  going  to  prom;  being  there,  alone,  watching  all  the  loving  couples  together,  while  the  girl  of  my  dreams  danced  with  another  guy,  didn’t  exactly  sit  well  with me  but  I  had  to  get  on  with  it.  I  was  determined  to  make  this  a  night  to  remember,  after  all  it  was  senior  year  and  it  could  be  the  last  time  me  and  my  bros  hung  out  like  this;  it  was  certainly  going  to  be  the  last  time  I  would  see  Lucas  make  an  effort  with  his  appearance.

That  faithful  Friday  afternoon,  I  found  myself  driving  down  the  familiar  road  to  the  Jones’  house  for  some  pre-prom  photographs  that  Mrs  Jones  had  organised  for  us.   She  had  arranged  with  her  doctors  to  be  there  specifically  to  see  her  children  leave  for  their  big  prom  night,  it  was  a  special  night  for  her  and  besides  who  wouldn’t  have  wanted  to  see  their  children  leave  for  their  prom?  It  meant  everything  to  her  to  share  this  moment  with  her  children,  and  so  if  Mrs  Jones  wanted  a  photograph,  Mrs  Jones  got  a  photograph.  She  wanted  to  get  a  photograph,  not  only  of  her  own  children,  but  of  the  other  two  boys  who  she  had  known  ‘since  they  were  in  diapers’,  and  so  we  all  arranged  to  meet  at  their  house  prior  to  prom  for  the  highly  anticipated  photograph.   Plus  it  would  allow  me  to  drop  off  my  stuff,  where  I  was  crashing  that  night  after  prom.

Pulling  up  to  the  drive  of  that  huge  house,  I  was  shocked  to  see  that  Lucas  appeared  to  have  beaten  me  there,  for  a  change  he  seemed  to  be  on  time.  I  guess  that  was  probably  because  his  girlfriend,  Emma,  had  whipped  him  into  shape  and  warned  him  not  to  be  late.  She  must  have  known  Lucas  and  deadlines  just  don’t  seem  to  go  together  too!  Knocking  on  the  door,  I  found  myself  embraced  in  one  of  Mrs  Jones   warm  and  welcoming  hugs.

“Look  at  you  looking  all  smart  in  your  suit”  she  remarked,  noticing  the  charcoal  gray  suit  I  had  decided  to  wear  for  the  occasion,  She  certainly  seemed  a  lot  more  cheery  than  the  last  time  I  had  seen  her,  that  was  a  good  sign,  however  it  was  still  quite  evident  that  she  was  ill, but  as  they  say;  the  road  to  recover  is  a  long  one.  “Haven’t  you  grown  up  fast,  it  seems  like  yesterday  you  and  James  were  swimming  together”

“It  was  only  yesterday,  Mom”  James  interrupted,  sarcastically  poking  fun  at  his  mother’s  comments.

“James,  you  know  exactly  what  I  mean!”  She  silenced  his  snickering  with  her  stern  reply.

James  was  being  flanked  by  Amy,  who,  I  must  admit,  looked  rather  pretty  in  her  black  laced  dress.  James  equally  looked  as  handsome  in  his  bow  tie  number,  and  as  per  the  plan,  not  a  hair  was  out  of  place  on  his  well-groomed  hair.  On  the  far  side  of  the  room,  and  yet  to  even  notice  my  arrival,  was  Lucas  and  Emma,  who  could  no  more  than  keep  their  hands  off  of  each  other,  let  alone  notice  the  comings  and  goings  that  were  happening  around  them.  I  quickly  scanned  the  room  for  Lily,  but  she  wasn’t  there,  perhaps  she  was  finishing  off  platting  her  hair  or  something  girly  like  that,  who  knows?