12; The Things That Damn Us

anathematize

verb | uh - nath - uh - muh - tyze | meaning - curse or denounce

chapter twelve ; the things that damn us

Once he had returned home from his night away from the lacrosse game, Miles had stood outside of the Argent house for a moment. His mind was confused from his unusual outing with Lydia which had been so oddly normal. He wasn't by any means saying that he disliked spending time with her, he just wasn't used to casually going on with someone, sitting in a diner, and then discussing the flawed fashion choices of the staff. 

As weird as the situation had been at first, eventually both he and Lydia had warmed up to each other. Despite usually hating having to talk to any one, he'd found himself in an in depth conversation with the strawberry blonde more then once. She would make a comment on the music they were playing, he would ask her what some of their mysteriously named meals were, and neither of them made any mention of anything personal, which each had teenager appreciated. 

Eventually, Miles made himself shake his head clear of all the distracting thoughts about Lydia Martin and his possibly first-ever normal outing. Unfortunately, his mind wasn't so eager to let go of the newly made memories, and it was actually still so caught up in them that his usual hyper-vigilance was faltering. Instead of noting the front door handle moving the second it started to turn like he normally would, he didn't notice a person coming out until the door had opened and the other person stood in the doorway, Miles staring at the other boy face to face. 

Of all the people he expected to see coming out of his house, Scott McCall was not one of them. Nonetheless, the lacrosse player by day and werewolf by night stood in the Argent doorway as if to challenge the laws of the supernatural world as Miles thought he knew it. 

Upon seeing Allison's older cousin, Scott stopped dead in his tracks, because he was afraid that if he didn't he might actually be dead. Miles had this way about him, this stone-like look in his eyes that made Scott feel like the older boy had seen things that would give seasoned war hero's nightmares. And then there was the fact that Miles practically towered over the teen wolf that made Scott feel like Miles could have his head if he so much as pleased. 

The two teenage boys stood in a solemn silence so that Miles could assess the situation and kept quite long enough to make Scott extremely uneasy. Miles' jaw tensed, and he stood up straighter to make himself look bigger and badder. Scott thought the tactic was working impressively well, and also severely wished that Miles would stop it so that he could make a great escape. 

"What the hell are you doing in my house, McCall?" Miles finally asked in a hard tone. 

"Dinner." Scott's voice came out sounding a little too high pitched. He attempted to clear his throat and start over. "Uh, I mean, your grandfather invited me to dinner after the game." 

So a werewolf had been invited into the household for a meal while Miles hadn't gotten so much as a text wondering where he had disappeared to after the game. Somehow, Miles wasn't all that surprised, just unamused by the new reason to look so tough and bitter. Miles looked past Scott to see Allison standing at the bottom of the staircase watching the too carefully. When she caught Miles' gaze, she quickly looked down and hurried up the stairs.