13) I will hold on (...and never let go)

It was too hot. Vera grumbled and wanted to kick the covers off – except there were none. The heat was radiating from behind. From something warm, solid and very human. Now moving.

Matt. He stayed.

His arm pulled her closer, his breathing tickling on her neck. He placed a kiss here; it tickled even more and she chuckled. She could almost hear his mischievous smile, when he did it again. And again. She tried to escape his lips without success – his grip was firm. The tickling was annoying, yet she felt the warmest feeling bubbling in her chest and she laughed out loud.

"Morning," he mumbled to her shoulder, where he buried his head after finishing his mission of kisses. His voice was husky with sleep, sending shivers down her spine – it reminded her of his vigilante voice, when being gentle with her. She smiled widely.

"Morning," Vera replied and he raised his head, loosening his embrace, sensing she wanted to roll over to face him. She did. His face was close enough for her to see it clearly – he seemed rested. She met his whiskey-coloured eyes and felt her smile widening. "Slept well?"

Matt smiled back. "Yeah."

His breath lightly blew in her face. Scanning her memories, she remembered all of his senses were enhanced. It wasn't wise to face him in the morning. She lowered her head a little, looking at him from underneath her eyelashes. She could see him frown.

"You okay?" he asked, unsure.

Right. Her heartbeat probably spiked. Dammit! "Yeah. It's nothing." And it probably did again. Busted.

His hand was suddenly under her chin and she had to level her face to his. His eyes were unfocused but examining her. Probing. She stopped breathing for his sake. His frown deepened. Vera fought the urge to huff; it would have the same effect as exhaling.

Vera carefully kissed the wrinkle on his forehead created by his effort to solve the puzzle. It didn't disappear. She did huff over his head.

"Morning breath," she admitted and waited for his reaction.

"Oh. Sorry."

"No! No. I mean... I don't care. But you. Your senses. It has to be like hundred times wor-" she couldn't continue, because her lips were suddenly very busy by answering his tender kiss, which ended too soon.

"I don't mind," Matt whispered and pecked her on the lips again.

Liar. Must have been a nightmare.

"Right," she mumbled and rolled over to her back. His hand stopped her, catching her elbow. She turned her head back to him.

"You don't believe me," he exclaimed, voice wounded as much as his face.

Then his expression cleared and mischievous smile appeared instead. Vera knew her eyes went wide and her heart freaked out. He planned on doing something and she might not like it.

Vera wanted to escape, but the moment she decided to make a move, he was hovering above her, knees framing her thighs, palms on the sides of her head. This was the Devil she was facing. She had never stood a chance. Her heart was fighting its way out of her chest, fear mixing with excitement. She felt like a prey being cornered by a predator – she was trapped and he was watching her with hungry eyes, hypnotizing, so she couldn't tear her gaze away. He was dangerous. Mysterious. Hot.

"Matt," she squeaked and gulped as he bended down, closing the distance between them, "don't."

Despite what she said, every molecule in her body screamed do and he knew that. Malicious, smug grin. Shifting his body, he lowered to his elbows, stopping his lips an inch from hers, touching them when he spoke.