25) I feel so much better now...

Just in case you missed it, there is a sidefic/coda/whatever related to this fic, set after  the previous chapter. It's called Of Crack And Crackers and you can find it on my profile with a picture ↑

I posted it as a different story, because it needed several different tags. A little more Matt/The Avengers interaction.

----

Vera's body was heavy and surprisingly light at the same time. She actually felt better than when she was usually getting up. It was going to be a good day, she could tell. She blinked several times, her eyelids listening to her command lazily.

Huh. That ceiling she didn't know. It wasn't the white ceiling of her bedroom in NY. Or her bedroom in Czechia for that matter. And it wasn't a hospital room, which shouldn't have crossed her mind, but hey – she already had spent some time in a hospital room since she had moved in New York. It wouldn't be such a surprise.

Light breeze tickled her cheek. She subconsciously turned in its direction and her breath hitched, her heart fluttering at the image she saw. Matt, forearms folded under his chin on her pillow, was sleeping peacefully. His position must have been really uncomfortable though – sitting on a chair next to her bed, stretched so his head was inches from hers. She bit her lip so she didn't chuckle and wake him up.

With the power of her will, she tore her gaze away and examined the room she was in – it looked kinda like a hospital room. A blurry one. A fancy one. Windows instead of two walls, with Venetian blinds, very expensive machines next to her bed – luckily none of those attached to hers or Matt's body. At the night stand, there was a case with contacts. In the back of her mind, she realized she probably was in the Avengers Tower. Because rescue mission. Bored with the room, she returned to watching Matt – him, she could see sharply at least.

The memory of his bloody face flickered in front of her eyes. Remembering the sources of his bleeding, she eyed the spots. There was no sign of an injury - if she wasn't where she was, she might consider yesterday a terrible nightmare. No blood, no splits, no lacerations, no bruises. Just contentedly closed eyelids, growing stubble and lips begging to be kissed. It physically ached her not to do it when they were so close.

A small peck on his lips? It wouldn't wake him up... Oh god, she had no self-control.

Vera gave him the lightest kiss she managed and withdraw instantly. The lips formed a sleepy smile.

He was smiling in his sleep, right? He had a nice dream- and his eyes opened.

"Sakra!" she cursed under her breath and his smile widened.

"Hey," he responded to her unusual greeting, most likely well-aware it was not a greeting.

"Sorry. I didn't want to wake you up. I swear I didn't."

His eyes closing again, he raised his eyebrow. "Why not? You're awake. That's what I was waiting for."

Happily discovering she had no i.v. input, she ran her hand through his hair. Not that she was checking once again whether there was any injury. It just felt nice. Or maybe both.

"How do you feel?" she wanted to know, attentively examining his face again. She couldn't see any other part of his body, so...

His eyes snapped open. "How do I feel?" he parroted, traces of disbelief in his voice. Oh-oh. Bad idea. Back pedal, back pedal. He sighed and leaned back into his chair, his breath no longer tickling her cheek. She missed it. Also, the picture of him wasn't so sharp anymore.