19) ...maybe we've come too far

Vera had nothing better to do than observing people dancing – or attempting to. There were several pairs who managed to match the dance with the style of the song correctly, but mostly they just swung in the rhythm – well... they tried to. Some people just didn't have the music in them. She was sure they had other qualities.

An extraordinary female singer had joined the musicians a while ago. Vera could tell she was extremely talented, because even Matt seemed to enjoy her vocals and that meant something. The storm seemed to sweep over and an easy smile played on his lips as he was standing behind her, her hands in his, thumbs stroking the back of them. He watched people in his own way too.

From time to time, a person showed up to introduce himself and express respect to Matt Murdock – Vera blushed every time a man kissed the back of her hand, smiling contentedly when she found Matt's arm around her waist pulling her closer – saying 'this one is mine, compliment her all you want, but otherwise hands off'.

"Yours," she whispered to his ear after one particularly impudent manager (who believed the world belonged to him, since he could buy almost anything) had kept her hand for too long, sliding his gaze over her figure shamelessly.

Matt let out an approximation of a growl sounding like mine and his fingers travelled down her spine delicately, leaving his brand on her bottom then.

Foggy spent about twenty minutes with Karen on the dance floor, before they crawled to them, demanding a drink. They all moved to the bar – Vera noticed a guy holding a dishtowel filled with something on his cheek. She chuckled when she realized who he was.

"What?" Foggy queried and Vera beckoned in Alex's direction.

Foggy snorted. "Guess you weren't the only one who decided he needed to be directed..."

The barista preparing their drinks followed their conversation. "Oh, this guy? Came around a half an hour ago. Hasn't moved since." He looked at Vera and his eyes went wide. "Oh. It's you. Nice strike if I can comment..."

Vera froze when she realized a bartender had seen her exchange with Alex. "Oh my god," she whined and hid her face in her hands. "You saw it, too?"

"Nope. Just heard about it. He has a handprint on his face though. I gave him the ice."

"Yeah, I'm a slugger," she muttered to her palms, cheeks burning with embarrassment. "I'm so sorry, Matt, I didn't want to cause a scene. I told you I would m-"

He took her forearms gently, drawing them away. "No need to apologize. You protected your honour when I couldn't. I am actually very proud. Also you're the cutest fierce warrior who ever walked the Earth."

"Guuuys, I'll get diabetes. Stop it," Foggy complained and shoved the shots in their direction. "What are we drinking to?"

"Women power?" Karen offered and winked at Vera conspiratorially.

Foggy protested. "No way! I am not drinking to that!"

"Well, drink to whatever you want to, I'll drink-"

"What about defending? Defending the innocents, people you love, yourself when needed?" Vera proposed and Foggy nodded furiously.

"I can drink to that!"

---

It was Karen who inspired her to do it. They went to the bathroom together for fixing their make-up and hair and using the bathroom, obviously. Vera was surprised to find out Terri's work was almost intact by the evening events. Nina's was a little worse, but that was caused by the spinning and Matt's obsession with her hair. She had to thank them later anyway. Again.