16) You thought it might disguise...

Getting up at seven a.m., Vera made herself presentable first. Then she went shopping, buying necessary ingredients for cheesecake and dough for the sweets. At night a.m. she lightly knocked on Nina's door, hoping she wouldn't be still in bed – or worse, her husband wouldn't be sleeping, because she would not want to wake him up.

Nina answered the door with a bright smile. "Vera! It's so good to see you."

"Who the hell is bothering us at nine a.m. on Saturday morning?" Vera heard growling voice and instinctively took a step back.

Nina rolled her eyes and turned back to the apartment. "It's just Vera, honey. She's here to talk about the rent. Drink your coffee."

Vera would never ever understand how their relationship worked. Also, rent. She had to pay it too. "I'll send the money this morning," she promised, "but I am here to ask a favour. Could I borrow your baking form? A round one? You wouldn't happen to have the one with removable sides, would you?" she asked hesitantly.

Nina winked at her. "I'll see what I can do. Sorry." She closed the door, letting her stand in front of her flat in the empty hallway. It was actually quite funny. Nina returned quickly, having exactly the form Vera needed in her hands.

"You're a miracle worker, Nina. I'm serious. Would you mind if I stopped by tomorrow so I could share? Or would you come over? We haven't talk in ages and I'm sorry..."

Nina's eyes shined with roguish sparks. "Don't worry about it. I get it. No time for a literally old friend while dating.... Don't look at me like that. You're glowing, Vera. Only young love can do that. I would love to hear more about it. I might actually come over if you wouldn't mind. Thao is getting cranky. It's the cold weather. Morning or afternoon?" she asked kindly.

Vera blushed, wondering whether she really seemed to be in love. "It doesn't really matter. I want to go to Fogwell's in the evening, but otherwise I'm free."

"Okay. Around two p.m.?" Nina offered and Vera agreed as she accepted the form.

"Two p.m. it is. Thank you, Nina."

"Nina? Is something wrong? Does she-" Thao's voice demanded and Nina cursed.

"Coming, honey! See you," she hissed at Vera and slammed the door in front of her nose again. Vera snorted in amusement and went back to her apartment to get to work.

She made the cheesecake first, preparing the dough for gingerbreads while waiting for the cake to bake. She was hoping the oven wouldn't do something unexpected like baking twice as fast. It didn't. It was quite the opposite, but that was the better option. She managed to prepare the dough for lintz, cacao and crescent rolls as well before turning the oven off. She was satisfied with her work, putting the dough in the fridge. She had enough time to make a quick lunch, sent the rent and headed to MDDC.

Her shift had no Terri, which was a shame. She was in with Barbara (yikes) and Michelle (hurray). The day was slow, but it was better than Saturday mornings - those were pure boredom unless she had a shift with someone chatty (like Terri or Michelle). Barbara ruined every single attempt of a conversation from Michelle's side, so Michelle talked to Vera instead. Vera learned that Michelle was planning another trip (for two weeks only this time) with her boyfriend - to Brazil. Vera had no idea where she was getting the money for her journeys.

---

Vera was walking home, when she got the call. It was an unknown number. She frowned at her phone, wondering who would call her so late.

"Macháčková," she answered the call hesitantly. Her other hand did not squeeze her pepper spray harder on instinct.

"Hi, Vera," the male and very familiar voice said on the other end of the line. Blood froze in her veins. Matt.