21) You can't choose what stays...

Surprisingly enough, no one jumped her while carrying the Devil's mask in her backpack. She got home safely, still chuckling, not sure if it was endorphins from her work out, serotonin from just being happy or freaking oxytocin, because... Matt.

At home, she found a text from her mum from earlier – she demanded a skype call as soon as possible, photos since Vera still hadn't sent her any picture of Matt and a report on her well-being in general. Vera offered her Monday morning, since she had the afternoon shift again or Tuesday, because she didn't go to work at all. Later, she found out that Monday suited her better – Marky wanted to know whether they would make a very long video call, because they planned on finding the right dress for her. Vera couldn't seem to stop smiling even when she was falling asleep. She hadn't forgotten to report her safety to Terri though.

Finding Matt's text in the morning was a pleasant bonus. (Except, 4 a.m.... for real?! When did he sleep?)

Her mum didn't have much time – she was at work, but her colleagues were liberal and promised not to finger her, so she was watching Vera expectantly when she joined the call.

"So? How are you? How was the party?"

Vera bit her lip. "Good. Uhm... really good."

"That doesn't sound good, to be honest. What happened?" she worried, frowning at the monitor, examining Vera's expression.

Vera huffed. "Nothing. Just... remember Alex? From our dance group? Somehow we ran into each other. We had nice two dances, but I was glad when it was over."

"Hm... and what about your man?"

Vera smiled unwittingly. "He was great. I mean he is great, like incredible human being great. And I finally met his friend/lawyer partner officially. And their secretary. They are amazing people, we had fun. We danced too. The musicians and the singer were awesome. All good. Thanks again for the package."

Her mum was nodding contentedly. "That sounds much better. So you wore the red dress?"

Oh. Vera hadn't mention it to mum at all. She didn't realize. "Uhm, not exactly. I'll send you a photo okay? I had a lot of help with make-up and hair and my landlady, Nina, she lent me a beautiful necklace, so... just wait a minute."

Vera hesitated and sent her the photo where she was alone first. One step at the time. She was sure her mum would ask for more. Vera hadn't actually seen the photos yet – she chose the best and waited for the verdict.

"Opening, opening... oh honey, you were beautiful! Did you borrow the dress? It's lovely! Hope he appreciated it..." she mumbled under her breath and Vera's face reddened at the memory of the late night appreciation.

"Yeah, yeah he did..."

"I'm waiting."

"Good for you."

"Verčo! Just sent me his picture for god's sake. Unless you lied and he's a greybeard, I don't think I would find him improper. He doesn't have a piercing or too much tattoos, does he? No, no, he's a lawyer, right...?"

Vera rolled her eyes and browsed her phone for their picture. It looked good. Amazing actually, given the circumstances. She liked the one without glasses better, obviously. She found the one where Matt seemed to be looking directly in the camera and crossed her fingers.

"Sent, mum."

He mum opened the file and Vera waited. And waited. And wait-

"Vera, sweetheart, you look fabulous together. He is very handsome, but you love the eyes most, don't you? He has kind eyes."