|18|

The harsh screams filled her ears from the moment they stepped foot onto the roof of the hospital. Clarissa Bane froze quickly at the sight that lay before her, almost as if she was unable to comprehend one of her friends was in a great amount of trouble. His red jacket was coated with dust that had clung to him as he was scooted across the cool pavement.

Stiles Stilinski was being attacked by a person that she could recognize almost instantly. Josh Diaz had shared one or two classes with her the previous year even though he was a grade below. The young male looked completely different to her in that moment from the boy who would be almost too shy to ask for a pencil to borrow.

Elongated claws were the only things that Clarissa could focus on as Theo ran to attack the younger male with a shocking roar. She could feel i‎t in her bones, the shift that came along with the animalistic sound, almost as if an alpha was screaming in her ears to shift and defend the Raeken boy. Her fingertips ached and burned like a scorching fire as the sharp claws flew from her fingertips and her eyes narrowed as the junior growled at her Theo.

Clarissa took a threatening step towards the pair of supernatural creatures, daring the younger of the two to hurt the man that she had come to care for so greatly. Sparks flew across the dim roof, lighting the blackness up like the Fourth of July's pale night sky and enabling her blue eyes to see the look of terror on Stiles' face as he looked across at her monstrous appearance. Clarissa could only imagine how she looked with her wild auburn hair and frantic eyes, almost as if she was a witch that lived among the king's and queens of old.

She turned towards the fight, watching as the younger male flew across the building from a firm blow to the chest delivered by Theo. Clarissa took another subtle step forward, inching towards the other side of the sparking cage to rest just behind where Josh landed. Her mind went blank at the sight of the younger boy achieving a slash against Theo's arm, her heart clenching at the sight of the blood dripping slowly down the pale skin. Clarissa didn't know why her first reacting was to elongate her claws and dash towards the boy but pushing herself into the fight to protect Theo was worth it to her.

Clarissa's anger overpowered her actions. She dodged the boy she recognized as Josh Diaz, from the grade below her, just as he sent a powerful swing towards her throat: one that would have sliced through her thin neck completely. She looked over the brunette's shoulder towards Theo who met her eyes with a plan in them, one that she could almost feel was not a good idea. The brunette swung the boy away from Clarissa to the other side of him with a roar full of anger, almost as if him aiming his claws at the chimera was against the law.

Clarissa didn't see it coming as Josh threw his leg out behind him, kicking her in the stomach quickly. Her back hit the cool pavement harshly and the breath left her lungs so quickly that it was almost as if she wasn't breathing at all. She almost had refused to move but the bitter sound of claws against flesh and the warm droplets of blood that rained down on her drew her attention back to the fight in fear.
Josh lay on the ground, his hands clasping against his neck as he struggled to breathe in the crisp fall air. He was dying and Clarissa couldn't help but bitterly think that it was better him than Theo; one more body piled up against the long list of names that the Nemeton had brought into Beacon Hills.

Silence enveloped the rooftop, a haunting kind as the flicker of Josh's last heartbeat died down like he did. Clarissa didn't want to get up, she wanted to lay on the cool ground forever and forget that this had become their lives; teenagers making the choice to murder and injure people for their own monstrous will to live. 

"Stiles, you can't say anything." Theo begged as Clarissa slowly stood, her body cemented to the spot between the two boys as a neutral ally. "Please, don't say anything."