|27|

Everything felt completely and utterly wrong to Clarissa.

Her stiff limbs felt uncoordinated, heavy and useless as they hung by her sides. Her brain felt muddled and confused as they began to separate from each other when they got to the edge of the preserve.

Clarissa felt like someone had rammed a steaming poker down her throat, the unbearable sensation of fire ripping throughout her body. She almost missed the cold feeling that she had gotten in the past few months, missed it more than the heat that filled her body as she had huddled against Delcan and Theo.

Tracey had veered off quickly from them, muttering about going home to change out her death coated clothes. Her body had been tense around them, almost as if she was wary of the group as she stood on the outskirts of them and Clarissa knew that she wouldn't like the brunette girl already.

Josh was a different story altogether though. He had continuously stared at Clarissa and Hayden in deep thought before taking off; his parents needed to know he was still alive, promising Theo that he would say he had run away from home for a few days. What surprised the blue eyed teenager the most though, was the way that the brunette boy had clasped his hands over her own and Hayden's to offer a gentle squeeze.

The rest of them had stood there awkwardly staring at each other; unsure of what to say about the events of the night and it hadn't taken long for Evelyn to urge the group back to her house, excluding Hayden as she said she needed to see her sister.

The car ride hadn't been as quiet as they had been in the clearing. Idle chatter filled the small area in waves but the chimera still felt out of place.

Clarissa looked around the car as Evie pulled through the winding driveway. She was stuck between her brother and Theo, although she really didn't mind it. The two teenagers had been in a constant state of unease since leaving the preserve.

Delcan hadn't let go of his sister's hand since they reunited. His eyes never strayed too far from her, almost as if he was afraid that she would be sucked back down to hell with a snap of someone's fingers.

She offered him a tiny smile before looking around once more, eyes landing on Corey.

The teenage boy looked how she felt; like complete and utter shit. Black blood and mercury still coated his body, dried and falling off in thick flakes that mingled with the dirt that surrounded him. Clarissa couldn't help but feel the warmth surround her heart as she observed him though. Corey was alive and although it had taken awhile for him to utter a word, he was happily chattering away with his cousin.

Her eyes darted to the short haired woman that occupied the driver's seat and saw that she was already looking at her through the rear view mirror. Clarissa offered Evie a gentle smile, not expecting the one that she had gotten in return. In that moment, she decided that she liked the twenty-four year old woman who hadn't stopped looking at Corey with a mix of adoration and wonder.

Her eyes finally dropped down to her knee where a hand was rubbing small circles against her dirty pants. Clarissa moved her free hand slowly, eyes darting up to meet Theo's as he wrapped his fingers around hers.

She knew that he hadn't looked away from her face since leaving the preserve, she could feel the eyes dragging across her face as she spoke lowly whenever the conversation interested her.

She looked out of the slowing car, towards the looming house that stood proudly on its own. Thick woods surrounded the area, shrouded the off white house in darkness even more so than the night.

The front porch was big and spacious and Clarissa knew that Evelyn intended for Corey to move in with her. The teenager felt hope looking at the house, a hope for the new beginning that Evelyn Danvers offered.